Chapter 44

Bren's POV

I enter the hallway outside of Niall's flat and gently shut the door behind me. I make my way to the elevator until I hear footsteps following behind me. Out of reflex I spin around to see who it is and Claire is standing there.

"What?" I sigh not in the mood to deal with her.

"Why are you here?" she says in the rudest tone.

"Because I wanted to talk to Niall," I reply.

"About what? Harry?"

I roll my eyes at her. She seriously thinks she intimidates me.

"That's none of your business," I reply and she narrows her eyes at me.

"It is my business because Harry is doing fine now and if you're trying to get him back he might be dumb enough to actually forgive you and then you'll break his heart again. Which I--mind you--will have to put back together," she says.

"You did the same thing and he forgave you by the looks of it. The only difference here is he actually loves me."

"Loves you? He doesn't love you hun. All it took was someone new and a few drinks to get over you. If that's love then I wouldn't want it," she chuckles and I feel my blood start to boil.

"Besides they're happy. You want him to be happy don't you?" she asks in a softer voice.

I nod.

"Then get lost," she says harshly before turning to leave.

Later that evening...

I look down at my usual flat stomach. It has a very slight curve near the bottom and I can imagine a miniature baby in there. I haven't told Adam or anyone besides Niall for that matter, but the secret gets harder to hide as I close in on my eighth week. My waistline grows and Adam starts to notice.

"No offense to you but you're starting to get a bit bigger," he says. "Is there something you'd like to tell me?"

"Nope," I reply.

"Name one time that lying has gotten you anywhere Bren," he says. "The doctor's office called while you weren't here to schedule a ultrasound."

I take a deep breath.

"When were you going to tell me?" he asks and I shrug.

"This is a huge responsibility for the both of us," he says. "I need to help you through this as much as possible."

"No you don't," I tell him but he ignores me.

"You're going to have to start cutting things out of your diet," he says. "And you probably need to move into a bigger apartment or just move in with me. I can turn my guest room into a nursery."

"Adam. No. I don't want a baby and I don't want to move in with you," I reply.

"Well you're having a baby," he says placing his hand on my stomach before I smack it away. "And during the first few months it's going to be hard."

"I'm not keeping the baby," I tell him and he frowns.

"Why?"

"I'm just getting started with my career. I don't need a kid right now to add to my stress. I need to be able to move around for work," I reply and he nods in agreement.

"So, I'll keep the baby while you travel," he says and I shake my head 'no'. "Then what do you have in mind?"

"I told you I'm putting the baby up for adoption!"

"Do you really want to do that?" he says sitting down on the couch.

"No of course not," I sigh slouching against the wall. "But there's nothing else I can do."

I look down at my stomach and even though I'm not showing yet I still feel anxious.

"I need to sort a few things out," I reply.

"Bren. I'll help you through everything. Just remember killing babies is wrong," he says and I roll my eyes.

"I know. It goes against my morals but I don't know what else I can do. What's going to happen when I start showing? I'll have to quit my movie and tell my family. Harry will eventually find out and he'll hate me even more than he does now. Then when the baby comes I'll be jobless and broke," I respond.

"I'll take care of you if you just let me," he replies and I shake my head.

"This baby isn't even yours," I tell him and he simply shrugs his shoulders. "I can't let you take responsibility for my mistake."

"I don't think it's very motherly to refer to your future child as a mistake," he chuckles and I shoot him a warning glare.

"Just being honest. You and me? A mistake. Harry and I? A mistake," I sigh and Adam simply pulls a pillow over his head.

"I'd love it if you stopped talking about him every once in a while," he says.

"Sorry, I miss him," I reply and he nods.