49. | The fall pt/2

Todoroki's eyes opens wide to the sound of people screaming and the smell of burning ash

Ash?

"Oh no.." He looks at his surroundings to find the place burning to ruins. His instincts kick in like thunder as he struggles to get himself free of the shackles. Upon realizing his quirk is back to his system, he also sees another woman laying next to him on the floor.

"H-Hello!? Mrs, can you hear me?" The boy freezes the shackles quickly and finally—after days of being tied up, he can move his wrists again freely.

The lady isn't moving and Todoroki is beginning to panic. Through his agony he lifts himself off the ground, although his ribs are aching and making him want to throw up—Todoroki isn't about to leave somebody. He promised himself, he would never be anything like his father.

He wipes the sweat off his forehead and kneels next to the woman, just as he is about to nudge her shoulder. A yelp comes from the other side of the prison cell.

"Shouto!" It's Ariko, her face full of fear. "Thank god you're up, this is your chance to get the hell out of here!" She pulls out a key and opens the door wide, almost to quickly.

"Ariko dear, it's time to leave~" Another shrilling voice comes from down the hallway that belongs to Rose.

"H-Hai!" Ariko yells back, trying to conceal her worried tone.

"Quick, this place is going to burn down. Don't come at me for being too slow" Ariko swipes her blond hair to side with one last smirk, a welcoming smirk.

Todoroki throws the woman over his shoulder, "Where will you go?" He coughs as he reaches the cell door. His breathing getting ragged from all the smoke. He needs to hurry, but...Ariko. He can't just leave her like this.

"Doesn't matter Shouto-Kun, I have chosen my path" She takes a step away from him, hands behind her back. "Although...being a hero and saving other does sound good about now" She scraps her cheek with an awkward smile adorning her face.

"But, we can't all be good, right?" Her smile fades into a sad frown, "This is my life now, even if I didn't want to hurt you. Please...don't forget about me okay?" She takes another step away.

"Wait!" Todoroki shouts after her, but his feet can barely carry him further.

"Run down towards the red door, it will lead you to an emergency exit!" Ariko starts running the other way with her hands cupping her cheeks.

"H-Hold on!-"

"Go be a hero Shouto! I'll watch you from the sidelines!"

"Ariko-"

"I'm sorry...for everything" With one last tearful smile, Ariko waves at the boy before disappearing away after Rose and their team.

Somethings are just meant to be and not meddled with.

Todoroki has no option but to sprint the other way—his way to freedom at last. Tears are falling from his cheeks, he doesn't care anymore. Never has he felt this surge of adrenaline before, he can do it. The door to freedom is almost there.

The burning building is crippling down at any moment, but he's going to make it. He's going to see his friends again.

<•>

Helicopters were swarming the scene, both policemen and heroes urgently to the burning house. Pro hero All Might, Endeavor and F/n were already at the place—as planned. But were caught in great shock when the building blew up right in front of their eyes.