CHAPTER 2- Part 3

TENIOLA ADAMS

The day had finally arrived. I had been nervous all through the weekend and it felt like an entire year had passed already. Esther's fiance, Femi was able to arrange for a small van I could rent at a reasonable price. Everything was settled. I had put the snack samples in the van ready for 'tasting'. I did a double check to ensure that all was in place.

I wore a navy blue three-quarter shirt on a high-waist cream coloured straight skirt and finished off the look with a pair of nude heels. I didn't want to look too formal but still wanted to be taken seriously. I suddenly wished Esther was here to give her view on my outfit.

The interview was slated for 10am and given the unpredictable traffic of Lagos city, I decided to leave home by 8am. In my opinion, it was better to be too early than the other way around. I got into the van, slammed the door and put on the seatbelt. I was starting to feel a little tensed so I decided to play some music from my phone.
Travis Greene's 'Intentional' was the perfect choice.

I got to Midas Incorporation office at exactly 9am. The traffic wasn't so bad today much to my surprise. That meant I had a full hour to prepare. I saw a sign that read 'RESERVED' at a free parking space opposite the entrance.
'Hmmmph', I muttered under my breath. The next available slot was further away. I wasn't in the mood for such long walk besides I needed to conserve every energy I had right now.

I parked the car and contemplated whether to go in yet or still wait in the car. That's when I saw a white bus just parked in the space close to mine. It read 'Elite Catering Company'. My heart skipped a beat. This was definitely one of my competitors. I began to feel inadequate and ill-prepared. At that moment, I remembered Esther's words of encouragement to me.
'I've got this. I am favoured. I have what it takes. You can't back out now girl', I said out loud trying to give myself a much-needed pep talk.
I checked the time only to realize that fifteen minutes had passed already. It would be better that I went inside.

The building was gigantic, beautiful and looked thoughtfully designed. The receptionists were warm and friendly with smiling faces. I almost couldn't believe that people were being paid just to smile and act nice. The feeling of cool air from the air-conditioning on my skin made me more relaxed. I was directed to take the elevator leading to the fourth floor where the interview would be taking place.

I entered the elevator with a woman who seemed to be in her mid-forties.
'Good morning my dear', she said with a wide smile showing her slightly discoloured teeth. Maybe she thought I worked here.
I gave her a knowing nod and returned the smile. 'Good morning ma'.

The hallway on the fourth floor smelt of fresh flowers. I saw a sign that read 'This Way To Human Resource Office'. I was definitely at the right place. As I scanned the area I noticed a group of people at the far right corner. I walked towards them.
'Hello. Good morning. Please are you here for the interview?'
A tall slender woman turned towards my direction.
'Good morning. Yes. We were asked to wait here that they would be ready for us in some minutes time.'
'Ok. Thanks.'

I made myself comfortable in one of the chairs in the reception area. Many of the people here seemed very confident. Some people were already making small talk. I, on the other hand just wanted to be alone.
Not long after, a woman came out to address us telling us the rules to abide by and that we should be orderly as we would be called according to our assigned numbers. She told us that the results of the interview would be sent to us via our emails in twenty four hours.

Person after person went in and I tried to read the expression on their faces as they came out. I couldn't make much out of it as all of them had the 'I-aced-it' look. I tried to maintain my cool though I was obviously nervous as my hands were visibly shaking by now.
'Number twenty seven could you please come in?'
I took in a deep breath as I stood from my seat. The time had finally arrived.

Do you think will Teniola get the job?

Or will she face another disappointment?

Please like, vote and comment!

THANKS FOR READING 💞