CHAPTER 4- Part 2

KOREDE DASILVA

I don't know why I was so absent minded. If not for that I would be on my way downstairs to inspect the new supplies that had arrived at the office over the weekend but here I was, trying to apologize for bumping into some random lady and probably damaging her phone that she couldn't seem to take her eyes off.
"Hello?", I asked in an attempt to gain her obviously diverted attention but she didn't seem to budge. The worst case scenario would be if the phone was spoilt beyond repair and I could easily offer to replace it. It wasn't that much of a big deal.

She looked up to face me with a puzzled​ look on her face and that's when I remembered her; the super-nervous and seemingly shy lady being interviewed for the catering job last week.
There was no way I could forget that face.
I gave a small smile.
'It seems like we've met before, am I correct?", I said looking straight at her.
She avoided my gaze and started to cough.
"Ummm... actually...", she started to say before I interrupted her. "Oh yes I remember, you were here for the interview last week. Congratulations on getting the job."
"Thank you", she replied still avoiding my eyes. She seemed pretty embarrassed although that wasn't my intention at the very least.
I looked at her a lot more closely.
She should probably be in her early twenties; mid-twenties at most. She had a softness to her face that made her seem utterly harmless yet dangerous if you got on her wrong side; with pretty small eyes that made me wonder for a second if they were closed.
She had that laid-back kind of look: a plain grey oversized sweats on jeans with silver loop earrings with brown box-braids that almost reached her waist. She looked almost too casual in my opinion.
I tried to point to something in particular about her that I liked the first time I laid my eyes on her so much that I made a rash decision in hiring her for the job, but I couldn't find one in particular.
I know could be spontaneous at times, but definitely not when work was involved. There had to be something.
I cleared my throat to erase the silence between us.
"Sorry earlier about your phone, hope it wasn't too damaged?"
She shrugged. "Not really, just a few scratches."
"Actually, I don't mind replacing..." She cut me short with a wave of her hand.
"Never mind please. It's totally fine."

She stretched out a white nylon package towards me. "I was just on my way to give you this..."
"Oh..." I nodded in affirmation as though I already knew what was inside before I realized that I should have waited for her to finish speaking.
"It is your breakfast package sir. Mrs Roberts asked that I give you a sample of the food....and to ask if you have any suggestions as to what you would like on the menu".
It seemed rather odd. They usually didn't seek my opinion about the menu for the staff in previous times. That wasn't exactly my job description.
I placed my hands in my pocket.
"Well, I think whatever you have discussed with the HR manager should be fine so I don't think I have anything to add. And thanks for the meal, please give it to my assistant in the office".
"I'll do just that. Have a nice day sir."
She turned her back to me, and faced the direction of my office to leave.
"Ummm...excuse me, I didn't get your name."
She turned around to face me once more, her eyes expressionless.
"Teniola Adams", she said with her brows slightly furrowed.
"It was nice talking to you Teniola. I'm Korede DaSilva", I said stretching out my right hand for a handshake.
She seemed to hesitate before she stretched out hers as well, the tip of our fingers barely touching.
"Have a nice day sir", she said for the second time but this time she had a look in her eyes that said that she wasn't interested in any further conversation. I had to respect myself to avoid any form of embarrassment.
"You too ma'am.", I replied in my most professional tone.

She was out of sight by now, but I already knew that I wouldn't forget her so soon.

Thanks for reading guys!

What do you think about Korede and Teniola's conversation?

Please like, vote and comment!

Lots of love💗💗💗💗