CHAPTER 5- Part 2

TENIOLA ADAMS

   I walked down Macaulay Street, where our house was located. Everything was exactly the way I knew it to be. The roads as usual were rough and bumpy. A hen was crossing the road followed by her trail of chicks. The air smelt of dust and burnt firewood.
  I could hear noises coming from the public grammar school just around the corner. Just opposite the school was Uncle Sam's barbing salon where my brother usually had his haircut and our charging spot whenever electricity went out since he had a generator.
I got to the front of the gate of the house to see Mummy Rakia who sold roasted plantain with fresh groundnuts at her usual spot. I could feel my stomach growl.
"Good afternoon ma", I greeted, slightly bending my knees as a sign of respect.
"Ah, ah! Who am I seeing? Teniola! bawo ni?"
She immediately stood up from the wooden bench she was sitting on with a wide grin on her face, while securing her wrapper firmly around her waist.
"I am fine ma", I replied returning her smile with one of my own.
"My dear, I am always asking of you from your mum. Hope she been giving you my message."
"Yes ma. How's business going ma?"
"Thank God o. It's moving small small", she replied with a shrug.
She motioned for me to take my seat on the wooden bench.
"How is Rakia?...And her siblings?"
"God is helping us o. Rakia is a big girl now o...my last baby Malik is now walking well well".
"That's good", I replied with a nod.
"Ma, I've missed your boli and epa, I want to buy hundred naira".
"Eiii...my daughter God bless you". She wiped her hands on the edge of her wrapper and stretched out her hands to get a piece of old newspaper from a tray to wrap the roasted plantain.
"I will give you this big one here", she said pointing towards one of the plantains on the blackened charcoal grill.
"Thank you ma. Help me greet Rakia and her siblings", I replied standing up from the bench.
"I will tell them I saw Aunty Teniola today, they will be very happy. You are around for weekend abi?".
"Yes ma. I came to spend some time with mummy", I said with a smile on my face.
"Omo daa daa, you are a good child anybody will pray for. God bless you".
"Amen. See you later ma."
"Take care my dear".

    I walked into the compound towards our flat which was farther at the back. It was still school hours so that explained why the compound was quiet.
"Mummy, I'm home!", I screamed as soon as I got to the front door.
I heard footsteps behind the door and the sound of the door knob opening.
"Teniola mi!", mum called out unable to contain her excitement.
She opened the front door with her arms stretched out to hug me.
Call me a big baby or anything you want to, but I was so happy to be in the arms of my mother again.
"I'm happy to see you mum", I said giving her a peck on her left cheek.
"Me too my dear, come in".

     The aroma of efo riro welcomed me as I entered the living room. Nothing was better than being welcomed home to your favourite meal. I was excited.
"Ah mummy, isn't that the aroma of my favourite meal I am perceiving?", I asked grinning from ear to ear.
"You bet". She winked at me and then continued, "Anything for my darling daughter."
"Awwn....thanks mum", I replied placing my arms around her shoulders. "You are the best".
I sat on the cushion closest to me.
"E wa jo koo ma", I said motioning mum to sit close to me.
I placed the nylon bags I had in my hands on the table and began to unpack them one after the other.
"Mum, I got fresh fruits from Balogun market for you...look at these apples, bananas, oranges and watermelon. All for you."
"Thank you dear, it's like you knew I'd been craving watermelon lately", she replied while feeling the green fruit with her hands. "This is watermelon season so it should be sweet".
"I also got some nice blouses for you that you can wear to church. I just hope they fit you well."
I lifted a pink blouse with flowery designs for her to see. "I really like this one. It will go well with your cream skirt."
"Yes. They are all nice my dear. I will try them on later".
She stood up suddenly. "Ah! I've forgotten my soup on the fire! I hope it has not burnt."
"It musn't burn o!", I replied dramatically while standing up after her to go towards the kitchen.