CHAPTER 6- PART 3

TENIOLA ADAMS

It was a hot afternoon. I was stuck in crazy traffic that had been moving at snail's speed along the busy Berger road. As I sat in the driver's seat of my truck, I could literally feel warm sweat trickling down the sides of my face and back. I would definitely need a cold shower when I arrived home.

Man, I wish this old truck had an air conditioning system.

I shifted uneasily on my seat so I could feel a little more comfortable but that didn't seem to help a bit. I needed the traffic to get moving, and soon enough.
I put on the radio to sort of distract myself from the current situation. Speaking of distractions, well I've had to do a lot of that lately; especially since my last conversation with mum over the weekend about my father suddenly showing up in her life after so long. I had tried so much to get it out of my mind, mostly because of the hurtful memories it brought back.

Please Lord, I need your peace.

I tuned in to Lasgidi FM hoping to listen to something interesting. The midday news being broadcasted by some lady with a strong accent I couldn't exactly place, but definitely from Eastern Nigeria. She was saying something about how some huge amount of money was found buried underground in one abandoned building on the outskirt of Lagos with efforts being made to trace the supposed owner.
The kind of news we hear in this country though, are total joy-killers. I remember at some point I resolved to not listen to the news anymore. I had other problems of my own than to worry about what was going on in my country as an addition. As the saying goes, denial is bliss.

I was jolted out of my thoughts by the familiar sound of my phone ringing.
I briefly scanned around to find my phone which was nowhere in sight. I was able to trace the sound to my black bag resting nicely the back seat, and stretched out to grab it.
Unzipping it, my eyes caught the intermittent flashes on the phone screen with an unfamiliar caller-ID.
"There you are", I blurted out.
I picked up the phone and spoke into the receiver with the most professional voice I could muster.
"Hello?"
"Good afternoon Miss Teniola", I heard a not-so-familiar female voice reply from the other end of the line.
"Please may I know who I'm speaking with?", I responded still actively trying to put a name to the voice.
"This is Stella Bello, from Midas Incorporation."
Oh. The boss' secretary. That shouldn't have been so hard for me to figure out; but I guess her voice sounded different over the phone.
"Oh. I'm so sorry ma'am", I replied.
I paused momentarily, waiting for her to continue the conversation.
"No problem at all. We haven't really spoken much I must say."
Suddenly I became curious as to why I was receiving a call from the boss' secretary. My interactions have usually been with the human resources manager, not directly with the CEO's office.
Wait. Could something have gone wrong with the food and she was calling to complain on behalf of the boss?
Please God, hopefully not.

I could feel my heart beating faster. I began doing a mental calculation of the whole process that went into preparation earlier this morning. I definitely tasted the food before packaging the orders, didn't I? Or maybe not.
Over the phone, I heard her clear her throat. "Miss Teniola, are you still there?"
"Ummm...Yes I am".
"Ok. Good. I have been asked to inform you that you have been awarded a contract to cater for the housewarming event of one of Mr DaSilva's close friends. The event will be coming up this Saturday by 4pm at an address on the Island which will be communicated to you. The full details will be sent to your email, including the contact of the host so that you can make the necessary arrangements."

Relief flooded through me. Actually, a mixture of both relief and excitement. I couldn't believe my ears. It sounded too good to be true.
" Wow. Thank you so much ma'am. I'm really grateful".
She chuckled slightly. I'm sure she could sense the excitement in my voice.
"You should be grateful to Mr DaSilva, not me. Oh...and lest I forget, he said that a part payment will be transferred to you before the end of today after negotiations have been made. Please do well to inform me so that I can get across to him if you encounter any challenges."
"Ok ma'am, hopefully there'll be no need for that. Thank you very much."
"Alright Miss Teniola. Do have a nice day."
"Same here ma'am. Bye."

To say that I felt happy was an understatement. I was blown away! I never expected the call I just received.
Mehn, It was rewarding to see the efforts of a young hustling Lagosian finally paying off.
I mentally gave myself a pat on the back. This meant I was definitely doing something right. And I would keep doing whatever it is that was working for me.
My heart swelled with gratitude to God for the amazing opportunities that have been coming my way lately. This year began on a slow ride for me, but things were finally taking shape in my life.
This would be the second big contract I would get apart the one I got with Midas Incorporations. I must give it my best shot.

I couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear and I knew probably some nosy drivers around would be looking at me right now, wondering what it was that got me excited all of a sudden. Well, it's actually none of their business. This was my little moment of celebration.
I couldn't wait to tell Esther the great news.

With extra patience and after what seemed like forever the road finally cleared and soon I was well on my way home, with the speakers blasting to one of my favorite jams from Lasgidi FM. This babe was definitely in high spirits and nothing would bring her down.

Thanks for reading guys! 🤗

I'm glad to be back to writing again, been busy with school stuff📚

Also, Happy Valentine's Day fam... Let's spread love this season! ♥️♥️♥️

Please like, comment and share!

Love y'all!💖