CHAPTER 8-PART 4

KOREDE DASILVA

    I was gradually losing interest. Interest in the endless deliberations that did not seem like it would end anytime soon. I was seated in a black swivel chair in the largest board room in Midas Incorporation building, surrounded by potential investors and my company's board of directors. A presentation was ongoing about the new housing estates we were planning to construct at a novel site on the outskirts of Lagos.
I checked my watch.
The meeting had started since eight o'clock this morning, and now it was some minutes past eleven.

   We were finding a hard time convincing our investors on why they should partner with us on this deal; especially since they claimed that another of our competitors had offered them a cheaper one just last week.
Mr Kolawole, one of the best brains at the company and our project management consultant, was on the podium presenting the layout of the architectural designs of the proposed estates using PowerPoint slides. He was naturally a highly confident man although today he seemed more nervous than usual;  with little beads of sweat on his forehead despite the fact that the air conditioning system was running.

   Much to my relief and excitement a few minutes and some seconds later, the deal was signed to mark the beginning of the new partnership of both companies.
I exchanged quick handshakes with our new partners, nodding and replying to almost every statement with a 'thank you very much'.
I was excited that we got to sign this huge deal, one of the biggest this year. Soon, the news headlines would be filled with talks about our upcoming project.
'We look forward to working with you Mr DaSilva. My regards to Chief.'
That was Mr Bradley Cole, the blonde-haired Briton, who was an executive manager of the investing company, Breslow International.
By mentioning 'chief' he was referring to my dad who he had met once at a conference in New Zealand last year. I knew that because my father had told me how he had introduced himself to him as Chief DaSilva; and the man kept asking questions on the requirements to acquire a chieftancy title in Nigeria.
'The man was a chatterbox', was his exact words when he narrated the encounter to me.
'Thank you. I will definitely send your greetings', I replied him with a smile.

   I walked them to the door, followed closely by other members of my team.
As soon as we entered the lobby, I spotted a familiar female figure in a mustard-coloured tee shirt on pair of jeans sitting cross-legged in the waiting room area, phone in her hands.
Wait...could that be... Teniola?

   I squinted so I could have a better look.
It was definitely her.
There was no way I could miss the caramel-skinned beauty who was starting to have an effect on me, reasons for which I could not entirely fathom. I felt a barrage of mixed feelings.
Oddly enough, I had hoped for another chance to see her again since Chuks' party over the past weekend and now it seemed luck had smiled on me yet again. It was almost as if I could replay those exact moments; how she meticulously grilled the chicken wings with a look of satisfaction and content when I told her they tasted nice.

    Stella walked up to me, jostling me out of my wandering thoughts. She bent over to whisper into my ears.
"Sir, Miss Teniola Adams said she wanted to see you...I...I told her you were busy", she said tilting her head sideways in the direction where Teniola was sitting.

"Alright. Tell her I'll be with her in  a moment."

    Teniola still hadn't noticed that I was in the lobby yet; her eyes still glued to her phone. Whatever it was must have been worth her undivided attention.

                ********************

     I was in the elevator heading back to the last floor while the rest of my team dispersed to their respective offices. I was planning for a celebratory dinner at Transcorp Hilton hotel soon with our new investors, and I wanted my father to be there as well.

    I rolled up both my shirt sleeves to elbow length and loosened my tie around my neck. Wearing a shirt and tie wasn't the most comfortable outfit; but I almost had no choice. Work ethic demands.
I tried hard to declutter my mind of thoughts about the possible reasons Teniola could be here. Most importantly, what I would say to her.
Calm down Korede. You'll find out soon.

   The elevator door slid open and I walked over to where she sat on the couch.
She was still glued to her phone.
"Hey".
She looked up, her brown eyes staring at me in surprise beneath perfectly arched eyebrows.
She stood almost immediately, her petite frame shadowed by my six-foot-five tall self. Her hair was still in braids, but this time in a ponytail that flowed freely across her shoulders. I couldn't help but be drawn to her beautiful face, which surprisingly wore a warm smile that I usually didn't see often. Today must definitely be a good day.

"Good morning sir."

"Good morning Teniola, how are you doing?" I asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

She shrugged. "I'm doing well, thank you."

"That's nice. Stella said you wanted to see me? I.. I hope there's no problem?"

"No, not at all", she pursed her lips together.

"I only wanted to appreciate you for everything. The job, the referral....Thank you so much. "
I didn't know what to feel.
Hearing such words from her was the last thing I expected. I was pleasantly surprised, but tried not to let it show.
I smiled.
"Oh...You're welcome."

    By this time I didn't realize how close I'd been to her; as I could almost hear the sound of her breathing.
"So sorry to waste your time", she replied apologetically as she took a step backwards.
"No...not at all. I'm not really busy", I answered with a shrug, burying my hands in my pockets.
I don't know how that statement came off to her, but she might have felt I wanted to continue the conversation.
Well, maybe I did. I certainly did.

But she didn't.
The atmosphere tensed up a bit in a wave of silence.
"You're sure that's the only reason you're here to see me?", I asked wondering how that could be all she came for and hoping that it wasn't.
"Yes." She answered rather hastily almost as though she already knew what I was was going to ask.
She glanced at her watch and let out a small sigh. "Ummm, I have to go now sir... if you don't mind."
She used the 'sir' word. Again.
I placed my palms in my pockets; my eyes fixed on hers.
"No. Not at all....do have nice day".
She avoided my gaze.
"You too."

    I wanted to stretch out my hands for a hand shake but on a second thought changed my mind.
It was best to keep it that way; professional and straightforward.
I watched her as she walked away towards the elevator, while she waved goodbye to Stella who was seated at her desk.

   My heart sunk at the thought that I'd lost another opportunity at having a conversation with her. Hopefully another one would present itself.
I wondered why I was even bothered by the thought.
But then I was able to figure out why. Partly.
Teniola was different; though I couldn't exactly wrap my fingers around what it was.
I knew it was my curiousity that was driving my recent thoughts about her.

  I clearly knew she was deliberately setting those boundaries between us. And I respected her for that.
If only the circumstances were different, maybe I'd have the courage to scratch beneath the surface to find answers.

THANKS FOR READING! 🤗

If you enjoyed it please vote, comment and share with friends!

Much love@DrDamsel ♥️