Chapter 4

I was not ready to get up and start the day when my alarm went off. Once more I barely got any sleep due to how much dreaming I had done of my new "obsession".

Stop it, Abby!

I wouldn't let my day start off frazzled like it did yesterday over someone I had never formally met or spoken too.

When I got to the main entry, Natalie was just arriving. I met her at the front desk area where the two leasing agents sat, figuring out their schedules. I met both Sabrina and Melanie yesterday and they seemed sweet enough but a bit immature.

Shit.

I heard the little voice in my head screaming, "No judging, Abigail Phillips!"

The voice was right. Being judged was something I knew. There is no worse feeling than lashing out, being judged for it, and then not receiving the help you really need but are pushed away. I wasn't going to make other people feel that way. I had a plan.

I put a huge smile on my face and moved behind the desk.

"Good morning," I said, giddy as I could manage. "So since tomorrow is Friday and I have yet to see the sights, I was wondering if anyone would be up for showing me around town?"

I glanced at Natalie. "I know you said something about a tiki bar with live music. I'd love to check it out if you're available." I looked towards Melanie and Sabrina. "You girls should come, too, if you're free."

All three of them smiled and gladly accepted the invitation. We sorted out a few details and I headed to my office to start work. I was proud of myself for reaching out to them and not judging a book by its cover.

I had no intentions of hanging out with my staff after work when I first received the offer to become manager. In my experience, mixing the two worlds of friends and employees usually ended badly. Mainly because people do stupid things when they are intoxicated. But I don't have to drink and get crazy with the girls, I could just hang out and only have one. As that thought entered my mind I smiled. I would have never said that a few years ago, but I was stronger and more careful now.

I looked up at the clock, surprised to see it was already noon. The morning had flown by and I was ready for lunch. I checked my email one last time.

Searching through my inbox I marked the important emails and deleted the nonsense. Opening a message from my regional manager, I saw that there was going to be a conference call with the investors of my complex I was required to be on at two. I left the email open so that I would see it when I got back from lunch and headed towards Natalie's work area.

Natalie sat at the desk right outside my office. She was so quiet when she worked that it was easy to forget she was only a few feet away from my door.

"Hey, do you wanna grab some lunch?" I had no idea where any fast food restaurants were around here and could use a friendly tour guide.

She looked up from her screen and shot me that ear to ear grin I was beginning to know and love. "Yeah, I would love to. I know a good burger place right down the street. We can grab something there."

We walked towards the front desk and waited while Sabrina and Melanie finished helping out a resident. I didn't know the lunch schedules of my employees yet, so the least I could do was ask them if they wanted us to bring them food back. I looked up from the two girls when I heard the entry sliding glass doors open. 

Wow.

I knew the smell of cologne and mint instantly. He walked through the door and looked important and gorgeous. All business. He wore a three-piece navy-blue suit with a white shirt and sharp looking tie. I know some woman swoon over a man in a suit, but I usually favored the casual look. Glancing at him, I knew he would be hot in any type of clothing. Or none at all.