Chapter 39

Jack called Nick early that morning and told him Jonathan's flag football team had won the playoffs the night before and they had to play the championship game at noon. Jack thought the game may run late and if they won all the boys on the team would go out for pizza. He wanted to reschedule for us to sit down with him tomorrow. 

Nick explained we had to catch our flight the next morning and practically begged for Jack to let us come to the game. He agreed but said we were not allowed to confront Jonathan. When the game was over he could give us a few minutes of his time to chat.  Nick hung up the phone and we all sighed with relief.

I took a seat on the bleacher's next to Alexis and Nick. The indoor sports complex smelled like dirty socks and popcorn. Not a good combination. By the time we got there, the boys were already on the field and I had no idea which one was Jonathan or which parent was Jack. 

After a few plays, I noticed a young boy running to the sidelines and gave a high five to his coach. They turned their backs to the crowds and both of their game day shirts had the name Smith branded on the back. I looked towards Nick and Alexis to see if they had seen the names. Alexis smiled and rested her hand on her belly. Nick's face went pale and beads of sweat dripped down his brow. 

"Good news is there are a lot of Smith's per our auditor friend." They both gawked at me. "Guys, it was a joke. I am just trying to keep the mood light and happy." 

"No, that's definitely them." Nicks voice was thick. 

"How do you know?" 

Alexis looked at Nick and then me. Her eyes were glossy and I thought she might start crying. Instead she said, "Maternal instinct." 

Neither of them took their eyes off of Jonathan the entire game. Once the boys had exited the field and hit the showers, Jack approached us. He spoke to Alexis and said, "Are you Alexis Lowell?" She didn't speak and shook her head, yes. 

Nick took a deep breath and extended his hand. "She is Alexis, Yes. And I am Nick, we spoke on the phone. This is my girlfriend, Abby."

Jack welcomed Nick's handshake and gestured for us to follow him to a room with a small table and chairs.

"I hope this is okay. I didn't want to be out in the open. Jonathan is in the showers but a friends mom will drive him to the pizza place after this and I am meeting them. I only have a few minutes to chat though or he will wonder why I am missing the celebratory pizza party." Jack gave us a half smile and started to fidget with the sports bracelet around his wrist. 

"Thank you for meeting us. We wont take up much of your time. Alexis and I just needed this. More than you will ever know. We can already see our-." Nick cut himself off and took a moment to gather his words. He continued, "We can see your son is well taken care of and doing great. You seem like a awesome dad and we just want to say thank you." 

Jack started to talk and choked up. He cleared his throat and said, "Jonathan is a blessing so my wife and I should be thanking you. She is sorry she couldn't be here today. She is a nurse and had to work, but she wanted to me to tell that to you both. When we couldn't have children of our own and your doctor put me in touch with Jeff, it was a blessing. We were on the adoption waiting list for over a year and we were starting to lose hope. Your doctor during the pregnancy was my brother in law. He knew Jeff from a few real estate deals they had done and it just all fell into place. My wife and I thought it was odd we never heard from either of you, since the adoption was open. We would have gladly sent pictures and a update on him. " 

"We just recently found out the adoption was open. I was a fool for not reading the papers I signed but I was young and afraid." Alexis looked at Nick.  "And for that, I am beyond sorry." Her voice was brittle and quiet. My heart ached for them both. 

Nick cupped Alexis's hand and squeezed it. It was a simple gesture but spoke volumes. A tear streamed down Alexis's cheek and I smiled. This was the closure we all three needed.