Chapter 6

The following day I started to make my way to office and was halted by Natalie in the entrance way. 

Great, an issue this early?

She spoke before I could say anything. "Abby, I had to come find you. That eviction letter you sent last night was definitely to the hot, rude Nick from yesterday." Her voice was panicked.

I smiled at her. "Good. I was hoping so. He walked in the damn door like he was some big shot. Plus, he is running a business out of his condo. That's grounds for an eviction."

I couldn't help but think my sudden animosity towards him had to do with the fact I knew he would never want me. I guess it was easier to hate him and maybe it would make me not want him so much.

Natalie started to calm down. "He was waiting at the front desk when I got here. He asked to see you, but I told him you wouldn't be in for another 15 minutes. He insisted you come up to his place to discuss the eviction."

I rolled my eyes. "He wants me to come to him? Just who does this guy think he is? I guess he thinks I should lie down and let him walk all over me, too. Well that's not going to happen. Was he an ass to you?"

"No, he was straight and to the point. Said he wanted to discuss the letter and for you to come see him and then left." Natalie giggled. "He smelled amazing if that makes you feel any better about seeing him." If she had only known, I already knew how wonderful he smelled.

"Alright, let me get this over with. I'm going to lay down the rules for him, tell him to pack his shit, and I'll be back in a few." I wish my mind felt as ready for a confrontation as my words did.

I hated conflict but it came with the job and this Nicholas F. needed to be brought down a few pegs.

Natalie shouted good luck to me as I entered the elevator and headed up to condo 1001. At the moment, I needed her words of encouragement more than anything.

Although the man had invaded my mind with sexy thoughts for the past three days, he was an jerk yesterday and I wasn't going to let him treat me or my staff like we were below him.

I kept that thought in my head as I approached his door and knocked. I had to keep the fire lit under me or I would never make it as manager. I was ready to give him a piece of my mind.

A voice from the other side of the door told me to come in. Apparently, this guy is too good to even answer the door.

I entered the apartment and he was sitting with his back turned to me, reading something on his laptop. The scent of his cologne filled the air. The first few times I thought it was pleasant but this time I was royally pissed.

I walked over to his desk and stared at the side of his face. I could see some of his features from this view. He was just how I remembered him: sandy blonde hair and a tight jaw. And for a man who seemed all business he had the Florida sun kissed skin that made me want to reach out and touch him.

He finally turned to face me. His eyes were as clear and blue as the ocean. With the top three buttons open on his white dress shirt, I could see the start of his toned pecs. I was starting to lose my mind at how hot this man in front of me was. I reached up and grazed the side of my mouth with my fingertip, hopeful I wasn't salivating.

All the gorgeous ones are dicks. Sabrina's words entered my mind and I blinked trying to remember my purpose of being here.

The eviction.

"Abby is it? Have a seat." His voice was matter of fact and rough, but still a bit pleasant.

I replied in a snootier tone. "I think I will stand. I heard you wanted to see me regarding the eviction letter you received?"

He closed his laptop and glared at me. "Yes, I did want to see you and get this figured out. You seem smart so I am sure you can tell from the lack of boxes in the room that I don't plan on moving out. I use this condo as my office, yes, but since I do occasionally sleep here and I do receive some mail here, one could say I live here."

The smile spread across his face made me lose my train of thought. Was he talking down to me? Although he was being smug, I wanted nothing more than for him to bend me over his desk and have his way with me. What on earth has gotten into me?

"I understand what you're saying, Nick. It is Nick, correct? Well, if you look over the lease I am sure you were provided it states that no condo may be used for business purposes. Only at the managers discretion you may receive permission to do so. I am the manager and I know I have not given you permission.Now, You can either move your things out and I wont file that or we can do this the hard way." I smiled the biggest, cheesiest grin at him I could muster up.

"Well, I'm glad to know you know the lease so well. Tell you what, maybe we can come to an agreement. I will get permission from the corporate office and then they can take responsibility for the condo being used as my office. How does that sound, dear?"

Confused, I slightly raised my voice. "I would appreciate it if you didn't use pet names with me and we keep things professional. This is not a matter for my corporate office. I am the property manager and I would like to keep this out of corporate hands. I realize you must believe that you are a powerful businessman and women will just do whatever you say, but this is my complex and I am the one who gives permission. And I am not granting it."

I headed for the door and turned back to him. "I would love to say it was nice meeting you but it truly wasn't. I would like you to be moved out by the date indicated on the eviction letter."

"That's unfortunate because it was a pleasure meeting you."

I rolled my eyes at him and as I grabbed the handle to leave I heard him pick up the phone. It was none of my business who he was calling, probably his lawyer to see how he could get out of this mess or sue my management company. I didn't care at that moment. I knew I had to get out of there before I lost my cool any further. This man made me crazy mad. And unbelievably aroused.

Before the door shut all the way I heard him call my name.

"Abby, I have Sally on the phone. I am assuming you know who that is? She wants to speak with you."

I couldn't move. My boss Sally? How did he get her on the phone so fast?

I walked back into the condo and took the phone. I realized I was shaking when I held it up to my ear.

"Abby, hi it's Sally. I have given Mr. Finn the permission needed to have his office in the condo. I'm sorry for the confusion."

Trying to hide my trembling voice I said, "I- um okay I will make a note in the system. Thanks."

I handed the phone back to Nick, in too much shock to hear anything else. Nick F was Mr. Finn? I glanced away from him and noticed a pair of blue swimming trunks draped over the chair in the corner. I had seen them before. Oh god, Mr. Rude Investor was the hottie keeping me up at night? Oh, this can't be happening to me.

I heard Nick hang up the phone and when I looked back at him, he was smiling. "I told you we would come to an agreement."

I finally managed to speak. "Mr. Finn, I am really sorry. If I had known I obviously wouldn't have sent you an eviction letter nor have spoken to you like that."

"I am glad to see I am investing in a company who employs people that know their job. Now that we are past that I am sure you want to get back to work."

"Of course. Again, Mr. Finn, I apologize. Nice to officially meet you."

I ran for the door before he even had time to say goodbye. Not that he would. This was the same man who didn't even acknowledge me yesterday when I said good morning. The same man who had called me out on the conference call knowing damn well I had only been at the complex for a few days and didn't have the answers to his question.

I ran for the elevator, trying to hold back the tears until the doors closed. Once inside and alone, I let them pour out. The fear set in. I had pissed off the wrong person. I was going to lose my job.