Chapter 20

The day was dark and sunless which mimicked my mood perfectly. The ocean was murky, and the sand was covered in seaweed that washed up from the waves.

I sat down and tried to relax. There were only a few people on the beach, and it was peaceful. I dug my bare feet into the sand and let the water rush over them. I pulled my knees closer to my chest and started to cry.

"Abby?" I knew who it was before I turned around.

I wiped the tears from my face but didn't stand or turn around. I wanted to be alone and I knew if I saw Nick's face I would cave. I had to be stronger than that.

When I didn't turn around, Nick sat next to me.

"We need to talk." His voice was low and raspy like he had been crying too.

Finally, I spoke and as much as I wanted to see his face, I couldn't look at him. I kept my gaze locked on the water as it calmed me.

"I'm not going to ask how you knew I was here." My tone was brittle.

"I saw you walking to the beach from my balcony."

So, he was in his condo, after all. "So much for my lookout team."

"What?"

"Nothing. What do you want?"

"I don't know. I'm drawn to you."

"Please don't go there. Not today, not ever." I glared at him and immediately regretted it.

Nick's eyes were puffy, and it looked like he hadn't slept in days. I felt remorse, assuming I was the reason although he had done the same thing to me. I would never tell him and give him the gratification although I am sure it is written all over my swollen, red face.

"I saw the flowers. I'm sorry you didn't like them."

"It had nothing to do with not liking them. I don't want anything from you."

"Yeah, I can tell." Nick stood up, wiped the sand off his pants, and walked off the beach.

I watched him walk away and instantly started sobbing. By now I should be used to him turning his back on me, but it still hurt like hell.

I got back to work and realized it was about closing time. I checked my email one last time before clocking out and noticed a message from Sally.

Abby,

Nick informed me he would like to take you to Florence, Kentucky with him to do the walk through of our new complex and see your mother. I wanted to let you know that is perfectly fine and actually works out great. The complex doesn't currently have a manager and I was hoping to have you help organize the office. You know how Union Management works and it will benefit whoever we hire to start off on the right foot. The inspection has been moved up so you will be leaving tomorrow afternoon at 3pm. I attached the plane ticket and Nick advised me he would see you to the airport.

Let me know if you need anything and I will call you Wednesday to see how things are going.

Thanks so much!

Sally

Jesus! I thought the due diligence would be at least a week away like Nick had originally said. I couldn't back out because Sally needed me, and I can't let her down. He definitely wasn't taking me to the airport though. My car would make it there just fine.

I stopped at Natalie's desk and filled her in on tomorrow's trip. She expressed her concern about spending two days with Nick and I assured her I would be fine. I didn't have the energy to discuss the details with her now.

When I got in, I called my mom to let her know I would be coming to town.

"Hello mother, how are things?"

"Hello daughter. Things are good, just sitting here watching T.V."

"I've got good news! I will be in town tomorrow night until Thursday. My company is looking into buying a new property in Florence and my manager wants me to organize the office for the new staff. So, I will be staying with you for a few nights. You didn't turn my room into storage yet, did you?"

"Oh, Abby! I am so happy. Your room is still the same way you left it three weeks ago. Do you know what time you will be landing tomorrow night?"

"Probably around eight or nine. We're flying into Cincinnati so I should be at the house about ten."

"Great. I will be up waiting."

"I figured. I have to go pack. I will see you tomorrow. Love you."

"Okay, see you tomorrow. Love you too, sis."

The delight in my mom's voice made me smile. I knew she would be ecstatic, and I loved making her happy. I couldn't wait to see her and sleep in my own bed. I was going to take these two days and gain control back in my life, one that didn't include Nick.

                         **********************************

At three the next day I said my goodbyes to my staff and headed to my car. I hadn't heard from Nick since the day before at the beach and I was happy for the chance to clear my head a bit.

As soon as I got closer to my car, I noticed his sports car sitting right next to my Honda. The two cars went together as well as oil and vinegar, just like the two of us.

Nick got out of his car as I approached and went to open the passenger door for me but instead of getting in, I folded my arms and stared at him.

"Whatever you're about to say, please save it. We have to make our flight so please just get into the car." His voice was pleasant but firm.

"I'm taking my car. It will be easier that way."

"I assured Sally I would make sure you got there so let's not let her down."

I shot him a dark look. He knew how much I adored Sally and wanted to please her. I felt in debt to her for giving me my dream job.

"Nice, use Sally as leverage to get me to drive with you."

"Absolutely not. Now get in."

I got in the car and we headed towards the airport. Nick tried to make small talk, but I was in no mood.

He left me alone and then stomps all over me just to be near me. I didn't think I would ever understand him and his motives, but I wasn't going to try to find out. This trip wasn't about him.

The only problem was how exceptionally sexy he looked. The definition of his muscled, tan arm and his tattoo poking out of the bottom of his sleeve made me salivate. I tried not to look at him. It was impossible. As angry as I was about how he treated me, he still made my body tingle.

**********************************

We landed at the airport as night was taking over. Nick and I sat next to each other on the flight, but I put my headphones on and listened to music the whole time, hoping he got the message.

"The rental car should be waiting for us out here. The hotel is down the street next to the complex." Nick motioned toward the exit as we collected our luggage from the baggage claim.

"I was hoping to stay with my mom for the next few days."

"Sure, let me take you there and then come get you in the morning."

"You don't have to do all that. My mom lives about thirty minutes from here and you're staying next door to the complex."

"It's no trouble. Come on."

I was hesitant to go with him. I wasn't being very pleasant with him, and though I had every right, nonetheless he was being sweet and trying to accommodate me. The way he took care of me was one of the reasons I fell for him, but I knew it wouldn't last. Nick could handle the lovey relationship stuff but the hard stuff he wanted no part of.