Chapter 24

The sun rose quickly, and I wanted nothing more than to go back to bed. I was exhausted from the Nick drama and happy to have some space from him.

I had successfully avoided him the whole flight, putting my headphones on and tuning everything out. He didn't seem to care much, and I knew neither of us was backing down. We were both stubborn and it was one thing we had in common.

It was Friday and since I had missed most of the week I did need to go to into the office and square away a few things before the weekend.

"Hey, welcome back!" Natalie was waiting for me at the front desk when I arrived.

"Hey, how's it been? Anything I need to know about?"

"Nope, it's been pretty smooth sailing."

"Good. I'm going to get to it, I've got a lot to do."

I went to my office and started sorting through my emails. I had one from Sally telling me to call her ASAP.

I wonder what's so urgent.

"Abby, how was the trip? Sorry I didn't call it's been crazy over here trying to input all this new information in the system for the Florence property. I don't know if they told you but the inspection went great and we close next week." Sally's tone was frazzled.

"No, they didn't tell me. It did go well, though. Nick said he saw a really good return on his investment with it."

"Adam was really impressed with you and how much organizing you did in just one day."

"It still needs a few tweaks but I think it will give the new manager a good starting point."

"Well, that's why I wanted to talk. Like I said, Adam was very pleased with your work and he made a crazy suggestion but I wanted to run it by you. How would you like to be the manager in Florence? I know you've only been at Gulf Breeze for about three weeks but the property up there could really use your expertise. Gulf Breeze is running pretty smooth now, thanks to you."

"Wait, you want me to move?" This all seemed to be happening pretty fast.

"I just know you mentioned the community wasn't far from home and I know you and your family are close so I just wanted to throw the offer out there. If I had known about the property before transferring you to Gulf Breeze I would have let you choose."

"I appreciate you thinking of me and I love that Adam thinks I did a great job, but I'm going to have to think about."

"Not a problem. We can hold off for a few days so take some time to weigh the pros and cons and let me know."

"Will do."

"Thanks, Abby. I will talk to you later. Have a good day."

"You too. Bye." I hung up the phone in a state of shock and confusion.

I had no idea what to do. I loved Gulf Breeze but it was over seven hundred miles away from my family and it did get lonely. I loved my staff here and living at the beach. Then there was Nick. Although he shouldn't even be in the equation, I couldn't deny that I was in love with him. Even though we weren't on speaking terms right now I hoped we could get past this and someday be together.

                                    **********************************

I spent the rest of the day hidden in my office trying to stay busy in between making a list of pros and cons for staying at Gulf Breeze. I went through a notebook of paper before I gave up on my list on reasons to stay or go. There was an equal amount of good and bad and it was getting me no closer to making a decision.