Chapter 22

"Good Morning."

"Morning." My mom was sitting at the kitchen table playing on her tablet. She had made a pot of coffee so I took a cup and sat down next to her.

"Did you sleep okay?"

"Yeah, it was nice to be in my own bed again."

"You didn't sleep in your bed."

I figured she would see me sleeping across from Nick on the love seat and have questions. I couldn't dodge them the whole trip.

"Go ahead. Ask away." I didn't want to be interrogated this early but it couldn't be avoided.

"I'm just curious why you were sleeping in the living room. Is Nick more than just an investor to you?"

"It's complicated. We had a thing and we decided it wouldn't work so I've moved on."

"You're not making eye contact so that's not all of it. Don't forget girl, I know you better than anyone."

"I know. But I am being honest. We could never be anything like the grand love I want." I shot her a half smile. I wanted to give more, to show I was okay, but my heart felt like it was breaking all over again saying the words out loud.

"You're already in love with him, aren't you?"

I almost spit my coffee on the table. I was used to her being blunt but I was hoping she couldn't see my feelings written all over my face.

"I was falling in love with him but it's not a good idea. I blurted out only a small part about my issues and he flipped. I just don't think he can accept my baggage so it's better to leave it alone."

"Well, I don't know him but he seems sweet enough. Maybe he just needs more time to come to terms with everything."

Nick entered from around the corner and our eyes locked. I wondered how long he had been standing on the other side listening to the conversation. From the sad look spread across his face, I was positive he had heard it all.

"Good morning, Nick. I hope you slept okay. I know the couch isn't the greatest. I made coffee."

"Thanks Ms. Phil- I mean Michelle." He gave her a crooked grin.

Nick sat at the table and my mom set in on him, asking him all about his family and his job. I used the time to escape and take a shower and get ready for work.

We said our goodbyes to my mom and she insisted Nick stay again tonight. He accepted, knowing telling her no would be impossible.

                        ********************************

The car ride to the apartment complex was slow in morning rush hour traffic and Nick didn't say a word. It was a lonely drive and I had hoped he would bring up what he overheard in the kitchen so we could get it over with.

We finally pulled up to the large complex. The landscape was tasteful and, since it was the end of March, the flowers and trees were starting to bloom. As we walked up to the clubhouse I noticed a few dead bushes and some of the trim on the building was chipping. The complex was older but had potential with the right owners and management staff.

The clubhouse was welcoming and there were two back offices which were for the managers and a spacious leasing desk centered in the middle. The décor was drab and lacked any wow factor. I pulled out a pen and paper from my purse and started jotting notes of things I had already seen that could be addressed.