Chapter 26

I was awoken by the beaming sunlight shining through Nick's bedroom window. I shifted from under his warm body and my hips were throbbing like a rapid heartbeat. We spent the evening and into the early morning hours indulging in each other and I was feeling the effects.

I walked to the on-suite and my legs were like jelly. I stared at myself in the mirror and I looked like shit. My lips were puffy from the endless making out and traces of sand lingered in my hair and on my face.

Knowing my lower body wouldn't hold me up in a shower, I ran a hot bubble bath. I closed the door quietly so that I wouldn't disturb Nicks sleep. I hated to not have him join me, but I knew how tired he was. When we got to bed, he didn't attempt to seduce me and had passed out within seconds.

The water soothed my achy body and I began to lather myself with body wash when the door opened.

"How dare you take a bath without me?" Nick grinned at me and leaned down to kiss my lips.

"Sorry. I was nasty and looked like a hobo. I didn't mean to wake you up." I said apologetically.

"I am not mad, trust me. You can wake me up anytime if I can stare at you in a bathtub. May I join you?"

"Of course."

Nick stepped in the tub and sat at the other end, facing me. I don't think I will ever get used to how gorgeous he made me feel or how lustfully hot he was. Each time I was near his naked body, I was left in a daze. I thought about how that must be the reason we never got around to having deeper conversation. While not always being a bad thing, Nick made me lose focus.

Today was going to change that because I needed Nick to open up. Yes, he had accepted my Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and the issues that come along with it but, why? He said I threw him off guard with the pregnancy scare but the only thing that came up about the infertility was he was glad I told him.

I needed to persistently but gently coax him into a heavier topic like my issues. I decided to start with the transfer offer, in hopes it would be a buffer.

"Sally offered me a transfer to that property in Kentucky, but I'm turning it down." I wanted to come right out with it because I didn't want my thoughts consumed with it all day.

"Why are you turning it down?" Nicks tone was curious.

"Why wouldn't I? I've not even been here a month and I like it."

"I don't want it to be because of me."

I slightly raised my voice, annoyed at him. "Well, you're part of the reason. Not all of it. I love living by the beach and my co- workers. You sound like you don't want me to stay."

I started to get up out of the tub and Nick pulled me back down.

He cupped my face in his hands and said, "That's not what I am saying at all. I just don't want to be the reason you are missing out an opportunity or the chance to move home. I can assure you that is the last thing I want. You have to stop assuming I am saying things I'm not."

I let my voice calm. "Well you're not exactly forthcoming with explanations. Honestly, sometimes I have no idea what you mean when you say things."

"I will try to do better. Are you sure though, about not transferring? I saw how much you missed your mom."

"Yeah, I do but I have a plan for that." I said playfully as I wrapped my legs around Nick's waist.

"Let's hear this master plan." His tone mimicked mine.

I kissed him hard and said, "I will just let you keep me distracted."

Nick laughed. "Hm- Well, if that's what you need. What kind of man would I be if I withheld from you what you need?"

I grinned at him. "Exactly."