Chapter 37

I awoke Saturday from the smell of bacon and coffee filling the air. I rubbed my eyes and realized where I was. I must have fallen asleep on the couch. When we got home from the party, Nick retreated in his office to finish up some work so I snuggled myself on the couch and watched a movie. 

The aroma throughout the living room was making my mouth water, but I had no desire to move. Looking at my watch it was only seven am and I was comfortable. When I heard a loud bang coming from the kitchen, I decided to see what was going on. 

Nick was cooking and talking to himself when I entered the room. 

"Everything okay in here? I heard a bang." I said in a low voice. 

Nick turned to me and smiled. "Everything is good. I just dropped a pan out of the cabinet. Sorry for waking you." 

I took a seat at the table. "Its fine. The smell of bacon woke me up. Why are you up and cooking this early?" 

"I couldn't sleep. You fell asleep on the couch and didn't want to move you to our bed. You looked peaceful."

Our bed? That was new but it was to early to dive into that deep conversation.

I assumed he couldn't sleep due to the confrontation he had with Alexis. I thought about ignoring the comment and going about the day but I wouldn't quite be me if I didn't pry a little further.

"Why couldn't you sleep."

Nick poured me a cup of coffee and sat next to me at the table. I took a sip and watched his shuttered eyes over my cup. 

"I think I need to do this. I think I need to help Alexis and even myself get closure with the adoption and our pasts. It could be good for all three of us?" His voice was Wobbly.

I waited for him to say more but instead he got up and flipped the bacon. I pondered the idea that he may be right. 

"Maybe you are right. I mean, I am not one hundred percent sure because I haven't had time to process all this and boy it's a lot. But you may be right." I spoke fast and cautiously. 

Nick came over and gave me a kiss on the head. He whispered "thank you" in my ear and goosebumps formed on my arms. The truth was I didn't  know if I was on board with him helping his ex. This wasn't the way I imagined us moving forward in our relationship. But it was possible that he needed this closure to make sure our relationship even had a future.