Chapter 11

Feeling panicky, I turned around and saw Nick cracking eggs on the counter. I had no plan on how to get out of this situation, but I did know that I was the one that needed to run this time.

I got up from the table and approached Nick.

"Can I use your bathroom?"

"Of course. It's around the corner on the other side of the stairs."

"Thanks." I shot him a sweet smile.

I left the kitchen in a hurry. I decided Natalie would be the best way for me to escape. I shut the bathroom door and turned on the water to muffle the phone call.

"Hey Natalie, I know it's early and I'm sorry to wake you but can you come get me? I'm at Nick's without my car."

"What in the world are you doing there? Isn't that the same guy who left you standing alone on the dance floor last night?"

"It's a long story but I have to get out of here."

"Alright, tell me where I'm going, and I will be there in a few."

I gave Natalie directions and strolled back into the kitchen.

"I'm not feeling too well. I called Natalie and she's going to pick me up."

Nick looked perplexed. "Oh, well let me turn all this off and I can take you."

"No, that's okay. I already called her, and she is on her way. I think I'm going to go wait outside. The cool breeze may help a little."

"Okay. Let me put this stuff away and I will come wait with you."

I could tell he was confused by my sudden "sickness" but he seemed concerned.

I didn't answer him back and walked to the porch.

After a few minutes, Nick took a seat next to me.

"What's going on?" He was being intrusive and sensed something was going on with me.

"Nothing, I just started to feel sick."

"I think you're lying to me. You were fine an hour ago." His voice was stern, but expression was puzzled.

I stood up and faced him. "I am not lying. I just don't feel good!" My pitch was high and frantic.

"You're still lying. Why?"

"God, you're impossible. Look, I can't be around you."

"You can't be around me? Is there something wrong with me?"

"No, there is nothing wrong with you. It doesn't matter, I don't owe you an explanation. I've known you for barely twenty-four hours."

"We've done quite a lot within those hours and yes, I am owed an explanation."

"Where was my explanation after you left me on the dance floor last night? Then you see me in the pool, we don't speak, you don't apologize or tell me what the hell happened, you just ravish me and here we are screaming at each other in your front yard. And don't get me started on the way you acted the first time we met."

"Okay, I was a jerk the first day I saw you in the lobby. It was a bad day and then continued to take it out on you on our conference call. I don't know what happened at the bar! I saw that guy run into you and I felt the urge to sock him in the face. I almost lost control in front of all those people so I walked away. I have never cared like that and it freaked me out."

"It was still a pretty crappy thing to do, leaving me like that. The worst part is I didn't even care that you didn't explain what your issue was, I still had slept with you. I felt so connected to you I didn't even have time to process everything that was happening. And now I can't be near you because I know I would fall hard for you and I just can't." I closed my eyes, wishing I had not just shouted that out loud.