Chapter 35

Nick invited me to Sunday dinner at his parents and I figured it would be a good step to meet them. The sun was setting with beautiful hues of pink and yellow filling the sky. Once we reached their street, I made Nick slow down so I could take in the scenery. All the homes were large and exquisite. I wondered how much "hush" money Jeff had given the family for them to reside in such a nice neighborhood.

We pulled into his parents' driveway and the all-white home was exquisite. The landscape was professionally done, and a water fountain stood in the middle of the yard.

As I got out of the car, I noticed a man walking to his mailbox. I knew the face, but I couldn't place where I had seen it before. Nick didn't seem to notice him and kept walking towards the house.

Before we entered I asked, "Who is that guy? He looks familiar."

"That would be Mr. Lowell."

Surprised I said, "Jeff Lowell?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Why do your parents live across the street from him?"

"Our old house is a few blocks over. They wanted to stay in this area and didn't know he lived across the street."

"Holy shit! Talk about awkward. Do they speak to him?"

"I think in passing. They embraced the money because they never had any. I didn't take it like that. That's why I am paying mine back and why I don't come here often."

The front door opened, and I was greeted by Nick's parents, Janet and Bill. His mother was short with shoulder length blonde hair. His father was as tall as Nick and his hair had turned all gray. They both looked in their early sixties.

We took a seat on the back patio and I my palms started to sweat. I was a nervous wreck.

"Abby, it is nice to finally meet you. Nick has told us a lot about you." Janet was sweet and she reminded me of Nick's housekeeper, Mary. I could understand why they were best friends.

"It is nice to meet you both too." I grabbed Nick's hand and smiled at him.

"You have to come to our anniversary party next weekend. Its Friday night. I know our friends and family will be tickled to death to see Nick settling down."

Bill rolled his eyes. "Janet knock it off. You're embarrassing him."

Janet waved him off and talked up their party, showing me the theme and menu options.

After dinner, Nick and Bill yelled at the baseball game on the television while I helped Janet in the kitchen. She told me stories about Nick growing up. She adored her son and was proud of his accomplishments. She did not bring up the adoption. I assumed it had to be a sore subject for their entire family.

I listened to Nick and his father chat back and forth about the game, fishing and other manly activities. He seemed close to both of his parents regardless of him not agreeing with how they reacted to the "hush" money. 

We got back to Nick's house and I was worn out. I enjoyed meeting his parents but talking about the Finn's party and about myself for hours was exhausting. Glancing around the living room, I imagined what it would be like to live here and wake up next to Nick every morning. Maybe it was all the anniversary talk and being around his parents who have had a successful marriage for thirty years. 

I would be lying if I said I never pictured marrying Nick, but it was too soon. We spent most of our days making out or breaking up which didn't make much time to get to know each other. Sure, we knew the big stuff, but it had left little room for the small details about each other.

Nick came into the living room with wine and two glasses. We settled on the couch and I intertwined my legs with his.

Playfully I asked, "What's your favorite color?"

Nick chuckled at me. "That's a weird question. But I would have to say blue, like the ocean. What's yours?"

"Hmmmm- orange. But I also like pink and green." Nick nodded his head in agreement to my color choices. "Are you excited for your parent's party? Thirty years of marriage, that's a long time." I was being inquisitive. If I could get him to talk about his parents' marriage, maybe he would give me his thoughts on the subject. 

"I think it's great. They are very happy together and have been for all these years. It was nice growing up and seeing a successful relationship. It made me want to have what they do."

I went for it. "You mean marriage?"

"Yes, someday I would like to get married. If I meet the right girl of course." Nick gave me a playful nudge on the arm.

"Very funny."

I loved our lighthearted banter and him. Although we had only known each other a few months and we were lacking the minute details in our relationship, I knew if he asked me to marry him tomorrow. I would say yes.