Chapter 21

It took us a little longer to reach my mother's house due to traffic from an evening baseball game but when we pulled on my street my mind and body settled. I exhaled and Nick turned to me.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just glad to be home."

He kept silent as he pulled into my driveway and started to get out of the car.

I grabbed his arm and it felt like an electric spark went through my body. He stiffened and seemed shocked that I touched him.

"I can get my bags. I only have two." I didn't want to tell him I knew my mom was staring out of the window and she would have a million questions if she saw us together. I wasn't ready to explain the drama of us to her.

Nick shook his head at me. "It's fine, Abby. Really."

Before I had time to protest again, he jumped out of the car.

"Abby, is that you?" My mother's voice was high pitched and excited. I was not. I knew once she spotted Nick, I would have to tell her everything. Explaining was going to be tiresome.

"Hey, mom." I gave her a huge hug and she kissed my forehead.

"I'm so glad you're here. I missed you like crazy."

"I missed you, too."

She kept her arm around me and looked at Nick as he shut the trunk.

"Who is that?" She was trying to be quiet but that was not something she knew how to do.

"Mom, this is Nick. He is one of the investors of our company. He's staying at one of the hotels by the complex we're walking through tomorrow."

Nick reached out and shook my mom's hand. "Nice to meet you, Ms. Phillips. Abby has told me great things about you." His tone was soft and genuine.

"Nice to meet you, too. You're driving back to the hotel this late? That's crazy. Stay here. You're taking Abby to work tomorrow so it makes sense. We don't have an extra bedroom but if you're okay with a couch it's pretty comfy."

"That's sweet of you but it's only ten-thirty. I'll be fine."

"Don't be silly."

Nick looked at me and I gave him the okay nod although I felt the opposite of okay. My mom was very pushy and when her mind was made up about something she would not stop badgering until she got her way.

"That sounds great, Ms. Phillips."

"Call me Michelle. Alright kids let's get inside. It's cold out here."

I was nervous for Nick to see my house considering how large his was. My mom was never much of a decorator, so her idea of design was going to the local furniture store and buying whatever was displayed. But it was small and cozy, and many memories were made here. To me, it was perfect.

My mom brought Nick some covers for the couch and showed him how to work the television remote. She kissed me goodnight and went to her room.

"I hope you're okay with me staying." Nick's voice was low, and he seemed apologetic.

"It's no big deal. She was right. It is silly to drive all the way back when you're just going to come get me in the morning."

"Your house is nice. It reminds me of the home I grew up in." Nick glanced around the room taking in the scene.

"Really? I thought you said your parents lived in a four-bedroom house."

"They do now but they didn't buy that until I was eighteen. I grew up in a smaller ranch style, close to the size of this place."

"Why buy a larger place after you were grown up and getting ready to move out?"

"They came into some money and wanted to live larger, I guess. I'm not really sure. I told them to buy a condo on the beach, but they wanted to stay in Niceville."

"Well, I'm going to sleep. If you need anything, help yourself. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

I made the short walk to my bedroom and was glad to see nothing had changed. My mom had kept the space exactly as I had left it. My walls were painted tropical orange and I had photos of palm trees and the ocean on each one. In the corner I had a large six-foot palm tree with lights on it. When I was younger, I would turn them on and watch them twinkle around the room. It calmed me and made me feel as if I was sleeping under the stars.

I had been in love with the ocean since I was a kid. I dreamt of living in Florida when I got older but there was nothing like being home. I wanted to escape this place so badly before I got the job and now the thought of leaving again makes me sick to my stomach.

                                **********************************

I woke up when it was still dark outside. My clock said it was only three in the morning. I made my way to the kitchen for a drink of water. As I passed by the living room, I saw the T.V was on and Nick was fast asleep. He was shirtless and I noticed a bandage where his tattoo was. He must have got a color touch up. I never asked him what the symbol meant because I assumed, he wouldn't tell me.

I turned the T.V off and Nick stirred.

"It's not time to get up already, is it?" He sounded like a teenage boy and it made me giggle.

"No, I was just shutting the T.V off. You can go back to sleep."

"I've been sleeping with it on since Saturday. I haven't been able to fall asleep without you in my bed, so the noise helps."

I was surprised at his confession. He must still be slightly asleep, so I ignored it.

"Do you want anything?"

"Just you."

"I meant from the kitchen."

Nick sat up, flipped the television back on and I knew now that he was wide awake.

"You asked me if I wanted anything and I said you." He seemed vulnerable and sad.

"Nick, it's late. Can we not do this now?"

"I know you feel it. When you touched me in the car, the look in your eyes, you want me as much as I want you."

I didn't expect him to fight back. Usually I say no and he leaves it but not this time.

"Will you do one thing for me, then I promise we don't have to talk anymore about it tonight?"

I shrugged. "What is it?"

"Will you sleep on the love seat? I know you don't want me to touch you and I respect that, but I just need to be near you." He was pleading with me.

I hesitated. "Okay."

I went and got my drink of water and laid down on the love seat across from Nick. The tone in his voice made me want to snuggle up with him on the couch but I was trying to be strong. He turned off the T.V and we didn't speak another word. We slept on our sides and stared at each other from afar until our eyes closed and we fell asleep.