Chapter 19

I was relieved to be back to work on Monday so I could focus on something other than my now nonexistent relationship with Nick.

My weekend wasn't a total wash. I ended up sleeping at Natalie's on Saturday night since my bed was still a mess and she spent most of Sunday with me. We went shopping for a new comforter set and enjoyed a long drive. I was doing okay until that evening when I was alone with my thoughts.

Nick hadn't called once to remedy our situation. Even though I knew he wouldn't, a part of me hoped it was a possibility.

"How are you doing?" Natalie came into my office around lunchtime to check on me.

"I'm doing okay, just keeping busy." I looked at her blankly, not being able to even fake a smile.

"I know you're sort of hiding out in here, but just so you know he isn't here. I've had Melanie and Sabrina watching for him, but he must be working from home. If you want to run out and grab food, I'm heading out now."

I sighed. "I'll get over it eventually, right?"

"Right! Now come on, let's eat."

Natalie and I arrived back from lunch and I had to admit I felt better. I hadn't eaten anything with substance since Saturday afternoon. I walked towards my office to dive back into my work and was stopped by Sabrina before I could open the door.

"What's going on?" I was puzzled by her blocking my door.

"Natalie told me the situation with you and Nick and I am really sorry to hear that, but in light of what happened you may not want to go in there." Her voice was shaky.

"Is he sitting in there or something?" I raised my voice in case he was, and he would know I didn't want to see him.

I motioned for her to move aside and she did so reluctantly. I opened my office door with extra strength, expecting to lay into Nick but instead was greeted with a huge blue vase filled with white roses. It reminded me of the similar flower arrangement in the room I had spent the night in at Nick's house.

I turned to Sabrina and Natalie, who now joined her in the doorway.

"I tried to have them take them back, but they had strict orders from the sender to make sure they were delivered," Sabrina said nervously.

"Seriously. He is ridiculous."

"There's a card attached."

"I don't give a shit what it says. He is so moody he will probably change his mind about it tomorrow. Well, if the delivery man wouldn't take them back, I will go give them back to him personally."

"He's not here. I've been on the lookout."

"Oh that's okay, he doesn't need to be here. I'll leave them in front of his door. He can get them when he decides to show his face. Hopefully they'll be dead by then."

I picked up the vase and the girls stepped to the side, not stopping me as I made my way to the elevator and up to Nick's office.

I was tempted to read the card but whatever it said wouldn't fix this. I told him something very personal, something that was difficult for me to discuss, and he behaved like a child. I had come a long way from the girl I once was, and no one was going to set me back. I knew eventually I would have to open up to him if our relationship was going to continue but I was glad it had come out when it did if that was how he was going to handle it.

I set the vase down in front of his office door and got back in the elevator. I thought I would feel relieved. I didn't. I was heartbroken. I was a strong woman but in the short weeks I had known Nick I realized I had fallen in love with him. I wasn't sure that Nick was the one, but he sparked something in me that couldn't be erased by throwing bed sheets away and returning flowers.

"How did it go?" Natalie stood up from her desk when she saw me.

"Natalie, don't look at me all sad. I'm fine. Really." My voice was small, and I knew she would know better than to believe me.

"Are you trying to convince me or yourself?"

"Probably a little of both. I just thought it would be more gratifying." I walked towards my office and sat in my chair. Natalie followed and shut the door behind her.

"Do you want to take him back?"

I put my hands on my face and started rubbing my temples.

"I don't even know that he wants me back. I couldn't bring myself to read the card. He just walked out on me when shit got real."

"Maybe he just needed time to process it."

"Why are you defending him? You don't even like him."

"I am not defending him. You know I am on your side but maybe he has never had to deal with something like this and didn't know what to do. Maybe he couldn't fully process it. All I'm saying is he may have just been caught off guard. You should have read the card."

"I don't want to know what it said." I stood up from my chair and decided I needed to get some fresh air. "I think I'm going to take a walk around the grounds. I will be back in a little while. Call my cell if you need me."

"Take all the time you need."

I walked around the whole complex in less than fifteen minutes. I looked at my cell and, since no one had called, decided to walk towards Gulf Breeze Private beach.