Chapter 25

Natalie drove towards Nick's house. When we pulled into his driveway his car was there and I instantly felt nervous and a little queasy. I had no speech prepared to give him and he might not want to hear what I had to say. I tried to think happy thoughts as I walked up the front steps.

I knocked but no one came to the door. I walked around back and saw the gate open that led to the ocean. I grabbed one of the solar lanterns that sat on the table and made my way through the sand to find him.

A few steps from the gate I saw Nick sitting in the sand, wearing only his pajama pants and drinking a beer. He was gazing out to the water. He must have seen the light because he jumped up and turned around.

"Holy shit, you scared the crap out of me! What are you doing here?" His tone was harsh, making me to worry that I had made a mistake coming to see him.

I froze, not knowing what to say or how to explain the realization I had come to so instead I said the only thing that made sense at the time.

"I love you."

He didn't say anything back for a few moments and I waited, letting him process my words.

"I know." It wasn't the rebuttal I expected but before I could dart out of there he continued.

"I love you too, Abby" The words coupled with my name falling off of his lips was one of the sweetest sounds I had ever heard.

"I know you do." I walked towards him and leaped into his arms and shoved my lips to his. He welcomed it and pulled me tighter to his bare chest.

Needing to catch my breath, I pulled my mouth away from his and smiled.

"How did you know?"

"That you love me? I heard you talking to your mom yesterday. How did you know?"

"Natalie told me. When you sent the flowers, I never read the card, but the girls did and sealed it back up. Then tonight Natalie spilled the beans."

"So, you've changed your mind about us?"

"I love you and I want to be with you. All the other stuff we can figure out as we go."

"Hmm. I don't know. I am a smart businessman and it's unlike us to take back assets we have let go." Nick giggled playfully.

Normally Nick calling me his property would bother me, but this time was different. I belonged to him and I wanted it no other way. Everything would fall into place and together we would break down the barriers we had put around ourselves.

"Can't you make an exception?" I asked him with a pouty face.

He gripped his arms tighter around my waist and put his lips to my ear like he wanted to tell me a secret.

"I will always make an exception to the rules when it involves you."