Chapter 38

The week had come and gone and the next thing I knew I was sandwiched between Nick and Alexis on a plane to North Carolina. Originally, I fought to accompany them on their mission to reunite them with their son. I eventually gave in when Nick pleaded with me each night and sent flowers to my office everyday. It was over the top and almost to the point of annoyance but he knew I was a sucker. It wasn't that I didn't want them to have closure, I just thought it would be something they needed to do together. 

 Alexis had come over to Nick's house a few times that week to go over findings she found in her dads office and Nick's intel at the county auditors. Nick and I were both shocked when she told us the adoption was open. She said she found out she was pregnant a few weeks back and the adoption was weighing on her. I was relieved when she said she planned on keeping this baby and starting a family with her now boyfriend. 

I got to know Alexis a bit and I liked her. She wasn't the conniving snake Nick made her out to be. At the time, she was young, heartbroken and being shipped off to give her baby up for adoption. Her father conjured up a big plan to make it seem like she wanted all that. 

He made her tell Nick she wanted nothing to do with him and made both of them believe the adoption was closed the entire time. She said her father's attorney drew up the papers and she was told where to sign. A child herself and scared, she did what he had told her to do. Jeff Lowell was definitely the snake in the whole scenario and it was surprising Alexis still spoke to him. 

Alexis said her and her dad had recently reconciled and she likely could have just asked him to see the adoption file but didn't want to take the chance. He still wasn't forthcoming with information and winced every time Alexis brought it up. She said in his old age he was becoming a softer person but still had the pushy salesman personality. 

I was thankful Nick was able to keep his anger towards Alexis at bay. One evening after she left, he told me that he was happy he finally knew the truth about her leaving. He still resented her for not standing up to her father for herself, him and their baby boy.  Alexis had loved him and even thought of marriage. I hated the thought that if that would have happened I wouldn't be with him today but grateful that her confession may have furthered along the healing for him. 

After a short flight, Nick and I settled into our hotel room and Alexis went to the lobby bar to control her nerves. Nick pulled out the documents regarding his child and re read the information. I flipped on the T.V to occupy myself and was on standby in case Nick wanted to talk.

We were scheduled to meet with the adoptive parents tomorrow. Nick's friend at the auditors office was able to find a current address for them and locate a phone number. We could have found the information on the auditors website but the adoptive parents last names were Smith and it would have taken us days to narrow down the results. Once Nick set his sights on making sure his son was being taken care of he wanted to move quickly. His friend was able to search the database for the previous address on the adoption paperwork and find the exact match. I still wasn't sure if any of that was legal but for once I didn't ask questions. 

After two hours of watching the weather network, Nick came and laid next to me on the bed. I turned to him and gave him a kiss on his cheek. "You should probably get some sleep. Big day tomorrow." 

Nick yawned and put his arms behind his head. "Yeah. No kidding. Honestly, I didn't think this day would ever come. I mean when I talked to Jack on the phone and explained myself I was cool and calm. Now I am jittery mess."

I rested my head on his chest. "It's to be expected. You said Jack seemed nice on the phone and was happy to meet with you and Alexis and at least show pictures of Jonathan. I know its not perfect and you wanted to meet him but its something." My voice was low and silvery. 

Nick exhaled deeply. "I just cant believe I have a son. I understand why Jack is protecting him and I commend him for that. I mean the poor boy is only thirteen years old and they haven't told him he was adopted yet. And yes, you are right. Something is better than nothing."