Chapter 36

Friday moved smoothly at the office and I was excited to get ready for the party. I picked out the perfect dress for the occasion. It had a white lace bodice and twirled down into a beautiful and vibrant blue. The sheer fabric rested just above my knees. It matched the color of Nick's eyes and I assumed he would be pleased with my choice. 

Natalie came by and fancied up my hair and used natural tones for my makeup. I slipped on my dress and stared at myself in the mirror. 

"You look great! Thanks to me of course." Natalie squeezed my shoulders and grinned.

I giggled at her comment and said, "So modest. But thanks again for the help. I'm kind of freaking out."

A knock at my front door made me jump and heightened my anxiety.

"Nicks here. And don't be nervous. You look awesome and you have already met his parents.Their friends will be no big deal. "

I lightly smacked her shoulder. "I still dont feel any better. Get the door please and tell Nick I will be right out."

Nick was walking around the living room when I entered. He caught my eye and smiled ear to ear. Approaching me, he placed a soft kiss on my cheek and whispered, "You look beautiful."

My stomach fluttered at his touch, but it wasn't nerves. Nick was beautiful. He looked delicious in his gray suit and tie, that had similar hues of blue as the lower part of my dress. His dirty blonde hair was perfectly gelled to one side and he had gritty stubble. Handsome as always. 

I repeated Nick's words and said, "You look beautiful."

"Alright you two. Get moving. You guys are going to be late." Natalie snapped us out of our embrace and hurried us out the door. "Have fun! Call me later Abby!" She waved us goodbye and Nick and I made our way to the party.

                     ********************************

Nick and I arrived early, and Janet greeted me with open arms. Nick had no interest in centerpieces and appetizers, so he stayed behind when his mom gestured me to the backyard to show off her hard work. Janet did a wonderful job and the scene was simple but elegant.

When we got back inside the house Nick was missing. His father was transfixed on the baseball game so I knew he would be no help. I walked towards the formal living room and saw Nick standing on the porch, in deep conversation with someone. As I moved closer to the window and slightly brushed back the curtain, a woman I had never seen came into view.

I backed up so he wouldn't see me and went to look busy in the kitchen. I didn't want to look nosy although I was dying to know who she was and what they were talking about. I heard the front door slam shut and I knew that couldn't be good.

Flustered, Nick entered as I was getting a glass of wine.

"Is everything okay? You look pissed."

"I am." Nicks voice was low, and he seemed like he was trying to not explode.

He took a seat at the counter and shook his head. His nostrils flaring, and his breathing was heavy.

"Do you want a glass?" I lifted the wine bottle in a peaceful gesture.

"That would be great. Before you even ask, we are not getting into who that was and what just happened." He seemed annoyed with me, but I hadn't even started the questioning yet.

"I wasn't going to ask you." I set the wine down in front of him and continued, "But you can hang up the attitude and you will tell me eventually what all that was." My tone was stern, and I walked to the backyard. I wasn't going to let Nick or some woman I didn't know ruin my evening.