Chapter 8

When I woke up I checked my phone. I had slept for 3 hours and missed a few calls from Natalie and my mom. I decided to dial back Natalie first.

She answered on the first ring. "What the hell? I've been calling you for hours. Nick came by after you left and demanded your apartment number. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. He just wanted to return papers I left in his office." My voice was low and hoarse.

"Well good, so you're not getting fired? Thank god! I was worried. But I also called to remind you about our night out."

I totally forgot about going to the tiki bar tonight. I thought about cancelling but I couldn't do that to Natalie. She seemed genuinely excited and it was a Friday night after all.

"Don't worry, I'm in. I'll meet you girls in the lobby around 6."

"Great! See you then."

I hung up the phone and took a seat on my patio, taking in the beautiful afternoon. I called my mom to let her know my first day went well and I was making friends. She sounded pleased but still said I should come home. Although I knew she was kidding, I imagined the house was lonely without me there.

The sun was shining bright above me and the pool water was glistening like diamonds. I stared at the beautiful sight in front of me and knew that I made the right decision to come here. But I still missed home, the one place I couldn't wait to leave behind just a few weeks ago.

                                         ******************************

The walk to the harbor was further than I thought but it felt good to get out. This was my first time sightseeing in Destin and I was determined to have a good time.

The harbor was lined with boats docked for the evening and sounds of seagulls filled the air. The tiki bar area could have been a picture on a postcard. The bar itself was centered in the middle and it looked like it was built right on top of the sand. High top tables surrounded it. The live entertainment was a man stationed under a hut with a thatch roof, playing acoustic versions of rock and country songs. Behind him docked boats swayed and in the distance part of the public beach was visible. It was picturesque.

Natalie, Sabrina, Melanie, and I sat down and ordered a round of beers. I had promised myself that I would only have one and then switch to something non-alcoholic. I knew what happened when I drank too much. I didn't have a drinking problem but it made me do stupid things.

Later on, when we finally sat down from dancing way more than I normally would sober, Sabrina screamed over the music to us. "Where is the bathroom again?"

Natalie yelled back to her and pointed to the restaurant next door. "Come on, I'll show you."

Melanie chimed in. "Yeah, I better go too. If I don't, I will pee myself the next time I hit the dance floor." We all belly laughed.

I grinned ear to ear as they set out to locate the bathroom. I felt at ease and it wasn't from the alcohol. It had been a rough couple of days at the new job and I was glad I didn't cancel on them. I needed to be social and let my hair down a little.

I glanced around to take in the crowd. A bright light from a boat pulled up to the dock next to the musicians hut and I watched as a man ran to the front to rope it to the anchor. He was wearing a dark blue collared shirt and khaki shorts. When he moved his arm to grab the rope, his short sleeve rose up his tan bicep, exposing a tattoo. I could only see a side silhouette but from the illumination he looked beautiful.