Chapter 18

"I will be back down to get you for dinner in an hour. Will that work?"

"Yeah, that should be enough time. See you then." I gave Nick a goodbye kiss and started getting ready.

I searched through the boxes sent from my old apartment and pulled out a box of pregnancy tests. I kept them for just in case moments like these.

I took the test and waited the agonizing three minutes like the directions said. It was negative, just as I assumed it would, and I sighed in relief.

Nick came to get me precisely one hour later. When he greeted me at the door, he did a double take, reassuring me that I had picked the right outfit. I settled on a jean skirt that sat a few inches above my knee, a blue tank top to match his eyes, and sandals with a slight heel.

"You like?" I spun around so he could get a full 360 view.

"I love. You look fantastic. I know my parents are going to love you."

"I hope so."

"They definitely will. I'm going to use the bathroom and we can go."

While Nick was out of the room, I checked myself again in the mirror making sure everything was in its place. The last thing I wanted was my cleavage and ass to be hanging out.

Nick came back in the room.

"You ready to go?" I asked.

"What is this?" I stared at the package in his hand, dropping my purse to the floor.

I ripped the pregnancy test from him. "Where did you get this? Were you going through my trash?" My voice was raised.

"I wasn't going through your trash! I threw away a tissue and saw it just lying in there. What the hell is going on? I knew I shouldn't have stopped using a condom with you. You forgot a pill didn't you, and now you're late. Jesus Abby, how could you be so damn stupid?" I had never heard Nick scream so loud.

"Did you just call me stupid? Perhaps I am for thinking you were actually a decent person. If you had looked at the test you would have realized that it says negative, you asshole. I only missed one pill and my period was due today but if I miss one sometimes it comes late. I can't get pregnant that easy. I just wanted to make sure." I was burning with rage.

"What the hell do you mean you can't get pregnant?" His voice was lower now but still harsh.

"I didn't say I couldn't, I said it's not that easy." I was still fuming and didn't back down.

He knew nothing about my situation. Instead of inquiring with decency he acted enraged.

"For the love of god Abby, I don't know what the hell that means!" He started pacing in frustration.

"I have a health condition that causes infertility and I don't have periods on my own. I take the birth control so I can have one each month and keep my system regulated. There, now you know. Are you happy?"

"Yeah, I'm ecstatic!" His tone was sarcastic.

I felt a tear slide down my cheek. "I think you should go."

"I think you're right." Nick walked out the door, slamming it behind him.

I sat down on the couch and let the tears flow. I thought when I told Nick about my infertility he would want to stay and learn more about my situation. But once again he had left me alone. I figured we were passed this, but old habits die hard. Now I didn't care, I was disgusted with him.

After a few minutes of sobbing uncontrollably, I called Natalie.

"You busy tonight?" My voice was husky and shaken.

"Abby, what's wrong? You don't sound good."

"I'm okay right now, but if you're not busy could you come over? I really need a friend right now."

"I was just heading out with Melanie and Sabrina, but I'll cancel. Give me ten minutes." Natalie hung up and I sunk down into the couch.

Natalie came right in my condo without knocking and sat down next to me.

"What's going on? Did that bastard hurt you?" I was so thankful for her concern.

"No, nothing like that. I took a pregnancy test because I missed a pill. With all the sex I just wanted to be safe. Nick found it and went off the deep end. He basically called me stupid for forgetting a pill and I told him about the infertility, and he walked out." I started to cry again.

Natalie wiped the tear from my face. "I'm sorry, I know you like him, and you wanted him to be different but sounds like to me he is still the same old Nick."

"I'm falling in love with him and after the past few days and the things he's said, I thought he was falling in love with me too. But when I mentioned the infertility, he didn't say anything. He didn't even want to know more. He just walked out."

"You're better off without him. Look what he does to you."

"I know. My life has been a damn roller coaster ever since we met."

"Exactly. Now, where's the wine?" Natalie stood up with a huge grin across her face. She always lightened my mood.

I giggled. "In the fridge."

"Perfect. I'll get us each a glass. Put on some comfy clothes and meet me on the patio. We need some fresh air."

I went into my bedroom and changed my clothes. I stared at my bed, letting my thoughts wander to the last time Nick and I were on it. I had left him that morning. Two weeks later we were in the same spot and now he had left me. I was able to pull myself together last time and if he couldn't accept all of me, I would have no choice but to do the same this time.

I yanked all my bedding off and set it in the corner. I would throw away the memories of us this time. I took a deep breath and joined Natalie on the patio, hopeful I could get drunk enough where I wouldn't be able to put it all back on the bed.