Chapter 5

Ryder was just about to finish the latest level off his space shooter video game when a call from Chase came in. Pausing, he accepted the message and saw Chase's face on the Pup-Pad. "Hey, Chase. What's up?"

"Ryder, sir, have you seen Marshall? His truck is missing, and I can't find him," said Chase, looking around in worry.

"No, I haven't. I'll call him up and see where he is," answered Ryder as he turned off Chase and called for his Fire-Pup. A few seconds later, he saw Marshall, driving in his truck.

"Hello?" asked Marshall, a bit surprised he was being contacted.

"Hey, Marshall. Where are you? The pups are looking for you," said Ryder. Upon hearing this, Marshall closed his eyes before growling much to Ryder's surprise. "Marshall?"

"… I don't care… tell the other pups I'm done being a bother to them and they don't have to worry about me anymore. If I'm such a annoyance like they said then I'm better off on my own. I'm done with them and Paw Patrol," answered Marshall, clearing trying to hide a tear dripping down his cheek.

Ryder gasped as he held the pad with both hands. Dozens of questions entered Ryder's head, but the first thing to do was to calm Marshall down and get him to explain. "Marshall, you can't quit. The team needs you. Look, just come on home and we'll sort this out."

Marshall shook his head. "Sorry, Ryder, but I made up my mind. I'm a lone pup now. I… I'm going to miss you. Thank you for taking care of me. Marshall out… for the last time."

The communication was cut as Ryder stood there, still in disbelief. He tried calling Marshall again and again, but nothing. Marshall had cut him off. As Ryder tried to think about what to do, Skye came up on the elevator with a smile. "Hey, Ryder? I was wondering if I could go flying since it's a great da-"

"What did you guys say to Marshall?!" shouted Ryder, turning around with a furious scolding look. Skye gasped and whimpered upon hearing her owner's angry tone "Answer me, Skye. Now!"

"We… we were just angry that he messed up the T-T-TV. A-a-and we may have…" Skye shivered and felt her ears fatten as Ryder's glare got harsher and harsher. "… t-told him he was a burden to the team… and said he… screwed up a lot… among… other things."

Ryder rubbed his temples and did his best to keep calm. Getting too angry right now would not solve anything. He needed to get Marshall home and he needed the rest of the pups to help, even if they were the ones that caused this. "Well, I hope your happy, Skye. Because Marshall decided to run away!"

"Run away?!" shouted Skye in horror. "I… I didn't think he'd take it that bad! It's Marshall! He's always happy!"

"Would you be happy if your best friends called you worthless and insulted you!? Breaking your spirit!?" asked Ryder.

Skye lowered her head in shame and began to cry. "We… I… oh what have we done… Marshall…" She shook her head. "We have to get him back, Ryder! He's part of our team!"

"And we're gonna get him back, Skye." Ryder pressed the button of all the Paw Patrol Pups.

Skye just sat there, praying that Marshall was alright and they could fix their mistake. Oh, Marshall. I'm so sorry. How could we have said those things?!