Chapter 24

The rain was coming down harder. Skye had convinced Chase to move his vehicle under a tree, saying that three seconds of not watching the drone wasn't going to be life or death. With the protectiveness of the trees covering them, Skye shook herself dry and warmed herself up with a blanket Chase had in his trunk. She watched him continue to stare at the screen, controlling the drone with a look of pure concentration.

She only hoped that Marshall was keeping himself warm and dry in this weather. Marshall may have been silly, and a klutz, but he knew when to be serious. And a storm like this is much too serious.

Skye wasn't the only one thinking this as a call from Ryder soon alerted both of them. "Guys, the storm is getting too rough. We have to head back to the Lookout. "

"We're not done yet, Ryder, sir! Marshall is out here! I can feel it!" shouted Chase.

"Chase, I know you're worried about him, but this storm is getting worse and I don't want to have two more pups missing. Come back to base, that's an order."

Skye turned to Chase, who looked to be torn on what to do. Chase had always followed Ryder's orders and disapproved of anyone else questioning their leader. He was a by the book guy in everything from missions to games. And now his heart was torn between to do what he wanted and obeying his orders.

Closing his eyes, Chase muttered, "Ryder, sir? With all due respect, I cannot obey that order. Chase out"

"Chase, wait!" cried out a Ryder's voice before Chase silenced him, turning off his communicator tag.

He turned to Skye and said, "You should get going. Don't want Ryder to be angry at you too."

Skye shook her head, her mind already made up. "No, I'm staying with you, Chase. I wanna find Marshall too."

Chase nodded before sighing and getting back to his screen. "Ryder's going to scold me when I get back, but I don't care. I'm not letting Marshall out of my sights. I'll chase him round the world if I have to."

"He's really that important to you, huh?" asked Skye, walking over to his side.

Chase's expressions softened as a smile stretched across his muzzle. "He was my first pup friend. I didn't have any back when I was little. My dad, Ryder, and his dad were all I had until I met him...