Chapter 28

By the time Marshall finally found a cave up in the frosty mountains that was safe and bear free, he was on his last legs. Exhaustion and pain had finally kicked in when he first touched the snow, and the large gash he had gotten earlier didn't help. He had done his best to clean it with his tongue, but without proper first aid, he wasn't going to last much longer.

Lying in the cold, icy floor of the cave, Marshall did his best to get warm by huddling his body into a fatal position. His whimpers echoed among the cave as he lay there hurt, cold, and tired. He had no way of getting out of here, especially with the snow storm that was outside. It would take all day to get to Jake's without his truck, and he doubt he could survive out there without a way to properly heal himself and stay warm.

And worst of all, he had no means of contacting Ryder or the others for help. Even if they were searching for him, they had no way of finding him. He left no clues of where he was going.

There was no more denying the one thought in Marshall's mind that made him more scared than he ever had in his entire life.

I... I... I'm going to die...

Frozen tears began to stream down his face as he thought of his upcoming demise. He didn't want to die, but what other option was there? He was going to either starve, freeze, or bleed out. Only a miracle could save him, and with the day, Marshall, had he doubted any miracles were going to be coming for him? No, it was best to make peace with what time he had left and get ready for his end.

I'm going to miss everyone. I'm so sorry, Mom and Dad. I love you. I love you both so much. Ryder, I just wish I could tell you how much you meant to me as an owner and a friend. Rocky, Zuma, Rubble, Skye. All of you were the best friends I ever had. I'm sorry for all the mistakes I made, including this one. Forgive me. And Chase...

Chase.

His mind drifted back to a single day where he showed his dedication to his best friend. He flashed back to two pups in a graveyard. A promise between two young boys who became brothers in that very moment.

I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promise, Chase, thought Marshall as he felt his eyelids grow heavier and heavier.

With his vision going darker and darker, he saw a bright figure heading towards him from the edge of the cave. It was tall, and look to be stretching out its arms.

An angel? Come to take me away to puppy heaven?

Marshall closed his eyes and accept his fate as he was lifted from the cold, dark earth and carried into the air. He felt warmth wrap around him as a smile decorated his face.

His suffering had finally ended.