Chapter 41

Mom! Dad!" shouted Marshall as he was tackled by his two parents. He laughed with joy as they nuzzled, barked, and licked. It made Jake and Everest smile as they watched the family. After the excitement had worn off, the two hugged their child with tears dripping down their eyes. Marshall whimpered, but a smile was on his face. "I... I missed you... I thought... when I was going to die... I... I..."

"What were you thinking, Marshall!" shouted Misty in a tone that made everyone in the room wince. "You almost died out there! How could you do something so stupid as run away from your home?! If you were that upset, or needed to be away for a while, you could have told us and we could have taken you home! Instead, you almost... we thought you..."

With a heartfelt cry, Misty held onto her son as Blaze nuzzled his wife. "When we heard you died, we thought our world had fallen apart. We didn't know what to do. How could we have gone on without our baby boy?"

Marshall felt the guilt in his heart stab him again and again like a harpoon. "I didn't mean to make you cry. It was stupid, and I'm sorry! I'll never run away again!"

"It's okay, Marshall," whispered Blaze as he hugged his son and smiled. "You're safe thanks to Jake and Everest. That's all that matters. "

"Yeah, I owe them a lot," whispered Marshall, giving Everest a smile.

"In fact," he turned around and gave Everest a toothy smile. "Everest, you have my permission to marry my son. Welcome to the family!"

"W-what/Dad?!" shouted both Everest and Marshall, who blushed as images of them in a wedding ceremony entered their heads.

Misty rolled her eyes and swatted her laughing husband in the face. "Ignore him. He's being an idiot again."

"Just trying to lighten the mood."

Marshall giggled before sighing. "I'm really sorry I ran away. If you want to bring me home as punishment, I understand."

"Don't you want to stay with the Paw Patrol?" asked Blaze.

"I..." Marshall lowered his gaze. "I don't know, What if Ryder is upset with me? What about the pups and what they did to me?"

Blaze put a paw on his son's shoulder. "Marshall, your friends were all mourning for you at your funeral just a few hours ago. They regret what they did and showed how much they loved you by looking for you non-stop. Did you know that they offered to be punished by us for what they did?"

"T-they did? Why?" asked Marshall.

"Because they thought they were responsible or your death," said Misty. "They submitted judgement to us. We could have done anything to them, but we chose to forgive them. Just one look into their eyes and we could tell they would have taken everything back that they said about you."

"I..." Marshall didn't know what to say, he just sighed and nodded. "I see."

Did they really regret it? That much?