Chapter 38

Chase still hadn't moved, and it had been two hours. Skye felt like she was watching two statues at the same time. After the service, nobody was in the mood to do much. Ryder was with Katie and his dad up on the second floor. Rubble and Zuma were watching old videos of Marshall on the new TV they had. And Rocky was getting water for Marshall's parents who were silent in the corner like their world had come to an end.

It might as well be the end of the world, thought Skye as she thought about the future. With Marshall gone, who would be their fire pup? Would they get a replacement? The thought of someone taking over Marshall's spot invoked both fear and fury in her. No one would be able to replace Marshall. Ever.

Worried about her crush, she decided to take a chance and exited the Lookout. Walking up to Chase, who continued to stand there and look at the statue, she sat beside him without saying a word.

"Marshall would have loved it," said Chase without looking at Skye. A sad smile appeared on his lip. "Although, really it should be of him doing one of his silly acts. It seems more like him."

"Yeah..." said Skye, lowering her head. What I wouldn't give for one of those acts.

"... I'm leaving Paw Patrol," muttered Chase, closing his eyes and whimpering in shame.

Skye's eyes opened a wide as she could as she turned to face him. "W-what?! Why?!"

"Because how can I be a good police Pup if I can't save my own best friend," whimpered Chase, as he stared back at his best friend's grave. "I hurt Marshall. I betrayed him. If it wasn't for me he wouldn't have run off like that, and got himself killed. I failed him as a best friend, a brother, and as a leader. If I can't help my best friend, or my dad, what good am I?"

"And what about all the people you have saved! All of those civilians who pass by and thank you for all the hard work you've done!" shouted Skye, shoving her face into his. "You think you're the only one that feels bad, Chase?! We all are responsible! We all said those horrible words! We're all going to live with it for the rest of our lives, but I'm not gonna quit! You do that and Marshall will never forgive you!"

"What do you know?! You have a family! I have nobody anymore! My Mom, Dad, and Marshall are all dead! My mother died giving birth to me! I told my dad to go to work that day instead of spending time with me, and he got shot! I told Marshall he was an annoyance, and he runs away only to be eaten by a bear! I'm a curse, Skye! Everyone I love dies because of me! I should... " He began to tear up as he turned away to hide his face. "I should just disappear off the face of the earth! That way, none of you will die because of me!"

"... Chase..." He turned around only to be met with a slap across the face. He held his red cheek before slowly turning to a glaring Skye. "Don't... ever... say that again."

"S-Skye..." muttered Chase, as he fell on his hunches.

"Don't ever wish such a thing, Chase. I lost one friend I cared about, I don't want to lose another. I don't want to lose you. Out of everyone here, you're the one I care about the most," whispered Skye, biting her lip. "You think you lost those you care about? Ryder lost his mom in an accident. Katie's parents are divorced, and refuse to speak to each other. Rocky, Zuma, and Rubble are all orphans for a reason you know. And... we all lost Marshall. We all lost a precious friend. Not because of you and you alone. We all played a part in that loss, but maybe... maybe it just happened because it did."

Chase wiped his eyes as Skye continued. "I don't know if losing Marshall will ever heal, but I won't let this stop me from being what I want to be. A rescue Pup. If you want to make your father, and Marshall, proud. You will keep doing what you can do to help people and prevent such tragedies from occurring. And remember," she walked up and nuzzled him, making them both blush. "We're in this together... especially me with you... because... Chase..."

She closed her eyes and sighed.

"I love you."

She heard Chase gasp, but a second later he hugged her and began to weep on her shoulders. "I... I love you too."

The two of them opened their eyes and looked deep into each other's gaze. Slowly, their muzzles began to inch closer...

Suddenly, their communicator links activated at the same time, snapping them out of the moment. The signal was directed to all of them. "Hello? Ryder? Pups? You there? It's Everest!"

"E-Everest? What happened? We tried to communicate with you, but we got static," said Chase, blushing as he and Skye inched a bit closer, their tails wrapping around each other.

"Sorry about that! The snow storm just cleared up! Glad we could get a signal! Listen, about Marshall..."

Both pups whimpered at the name, and the thought of their friend learning the sad news.

"Everest... Marshall's gone... we found his collar and blood... we just had his funeral..." said Ryder on his line.

To their shock Everest just giggled. "Well, that's where you're wrong, Ryder. I found Marshall! He's alive!"

"ALIVE?!"shouted not just Chase and Skye, but Ryder and all the other pups as well.

"Yup! See for yourself!"

The visual feed for the communicators came online and soon they saw what looked to be Jake's bedroom from their tags. Skye was sure her heart stopped, as did the others, as they saw a single dalmatian on the bed, nervously waving.

"H-hey, pups. How was my funeral?" asked Marshall, with a small smile.