Chapter 36

All of Adventure Bay had turned up for the memorial at the Lookout. It had been decorated with black, white, and red banners with the Paw Patrol logo temporarily covered with a flag of Marshall's fire pup tag. The entire town, dressed for the occasion, had come together for this tragic event, even a few outsiders of Adventure Bay. Mr. Porter had been comforting his grandson, Alex, the entire time as he cried on his grandfather's shoulders. Captain Turbot had his hat off, placing it over his heart as a sign of respect while the other hand used a tissue to dry his tears. Farmer Yumi and Al held hands as they muttered in prayer. Fuzzy and his flock were nearby as well, the little goose being held by his mother as he tried furiously to fly to the memorial statue in tears.

Ryder, who had been crying silently, had his father holding his shoulder for support while Katie was on the other side holding his hand. The pet groomer gave him a comforting smile, letting him know that she was there for him. Even Cali was there, in a black collar and looking somber.

The saddest ones, besides Ryder, were two other groups: the Pups themselves and Marshall's parents.

All of the pups had dressed up in their Paw Patrol uniforms, but with a black scarf wrapped around their necks as a sign of mourning. Words couldn't describe the looks on their faces that combined guilt, shame, and sorrow into one heartbreaking emotion. None of them hid any tears that flowed out, nor did they ever stop looking at the giant memorial statue of Marshall, which feature himed standing proud for all to see. The marble statue had a golden plate that read: "In Loving Memory of Marshall. A Proud Fire Pup of Paw Patrol. 'Just do my best. Forget the rest'".

The only ones missing was Everest, and her owner Jake. They tried to get a signal, but it was jammed by the storms. Ryder could only think how devastated they would be once they learned of Marshall's fate.

Mayor Goodway walked up to a small podium, wearing a funeral dress and shawl. Clearing her throat, she said,"We are all gathered here today in rememberance one of Adventure Bay's greatest heroes. He was brave, kind, and a faithful to us all. Marshall of Paw Patrol was not just another dog, he was part of our community; our family. He was a rescuer, a friend, and a son to us..." She turned to the weeping parents and their fire team who had come to support their dogs. Blaze was comforting his sobbing wife who held onto a picture of Marshall that was shot not long after he was born. Nobody knew what to say to the two dogs who had lost their only son.

If anything, the Paw Patrol wished they were hated by them instead of forgiven. They told them everything. How it was all their fault that their son ran away and met his death. They looked at the five long and hard as they awaited their punishment. In the end, they sighed and forgave them. They said Marshall would want them to, and they knew the pups never really meant for this to happen.

It still didn't stop them from blaming themselves. They even offered to surrender their dog tags in shame to Ryder, offering to be sent away to new owners, but Ryder outright refused. They were a family, and Marshall wouldn't want them to split up.

Even if I did say that though, that doesn't mean we won't have this hanging over us for the rest of our lives, thought Ryder as the Mayor ended her speech and gave the floor to Ryder.

Ryder squeezed Katie's hand before walking up to the podium. He stared at the crowd for a bit before closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. "Marshall was... I guess it's hard to say what he was. Brave? Gentle? Happy? I think about that with all my pups. But the one thing I think about most when it comes to Marshall, from now and forever, will be his love." He opened his eyes and smiled. "With Marshall, he loved everything and everyone. He loved life to the fullest, and made sure to smile every day, showing how much he loved, who he was, and what he was doing. His love was something we all felt in our hearts when we were with him. He had a presence that made you think he was the rays of sunshine itself." He clenched his fist. "It's true that... it may seem like those rays are gone. However, I think if we remember who Marshall was, and that feeling of love we associated with him, then we can still feel those rays as he watches us from below."

Ryder lowered his head and turned away, he didn't want to see the reactions of his speech. He just wanted to look at the statue of Marshall. I'm gonna miss you buddy. If there is a heaven for dogs, you deserve it.

Ryder sighed before walking over to his father and Katie. He hugged both before turning back to the memorial. Getting the signal from the mayor, a bagpipe player began to blow into his instrument as Rubble walked forward with Chase, Zuma, Skye, and Rocky carrying a small casket on their shoulders. There was no body to bury, so they placed Marshall's dog tag in the casket along with a photo of him. Rubble, using his shovel, dug the hole in front of the statue and allowed the others to slowly lower the casket into the grave before he sealed it up with the dirt. When the last of the dirt was padded, the bagpipes ended, and the crowd began to walk away. There would be no reception, just some time alone to deal with this new reality they were in.

Everyone eventually made their way to the Lookout, except for Chase, who stood there and stared at the statue with an emotionless face. Skye looked back at him for a bit before following the others inside.