Chapter 22

Marshall normally liked being wet, but not this kind. After a grueling climb, the poor pup was forced to brave the mountain through the harsh storm. He was almost at Jake's mountain by the sight of the winter frost back just a few miles away. Still, he needed a place to rest and wait for the storm to calm down. He had tried contacting for help, but his tag was damaged from the fall he took. Even if he wanted to call for help, which he did, he couldn't.

Teeth chattering, Marshall braved his way through the rain and cold winds, hoping the lighting didn't hit him as he made his way further up the mountain. "Need to find... someplace to rest..."

He then noticed something nearby and gasped with joy. "A cave!" It was big and looked to be very deep. Putting extra energy into his legs, Marshall made into the cave and sighed in relief upon feeling the rain stop hitting his fur. Shaking the water off, Marshall walked in a bit deeper, but made sure not to go too far since it was completely dark and he had no flashlight.

"It's really big. I wonder if this was used by somebody at one time," said Marshall as he sat down and yawned. "I'm beat..."

The events of the day were finally hitting Marshall as he felt his sore body start to shiver again and his stomach growl. He had no food. No clothing to keep him warm. And he was alone.

Alone.

Marshall had never been alone before until now. He always had his friends or family with him. But never just himself. When he was with his friends he always felt warm, safe, and happy. Now that he was alone it was cold, dark, and scary.

"I... I don't like being alone," muttered Marshall, closing his eyes and sobbing. "I want my mom and dad. I want Ryder. And... I want my friends... I want them so much... I want to go home..."

He didn't care if the pups hated him or he was a klutz, he wanted to be back home, curled up with his best friends by the fire. He wanted Ryder to give him his teddy bear. He wanted Chase to lay beside him and keep him warm like all the other times he had gotten cold and lonely.

He tried hitting his collar again. "Ryder? Chase? Anyone? Please, find me. I... I need help! I wanna go home! Please!" He cried again just as the roar of thunder echoed. Or at least... he thought it was thunder.

Marshall heard a growing growling noise as he looked up and saw, standing on its two feet, was a giant, angry, black bear. Marshall felt his entire body freeze up as it raised its sharp claw.

A second later it came down upon him.