Chapter 32

By the time Chase reached the wreck, the fire was all but gone thanks to the ongoing rain. He leaped out of his seat and began barking over and over again.

"Marshall! Marshall!" shouted Chase as he ran around the area, trying to find even a fur of the spotted dalmatian. Every time he turned his head, he grew afraid that he would see a dead body somewhere on the ground. He sniffed the air, trying to get a scent of Marshall but he could barely get anything. The fire had to have burned it away. Thankfully, he didn't smell a decaying corpse.

"Chase!" shouted Skye's voice as he saw her land nearby on her helicopter. She rushed out, looking both furious and worried. "What the heck is wrong with you?! You could have gotten yourself killed the way you were driving!"

"I was trying to find Marshall!" shouted Chase, defending his actions.

"Look around you, Chase! Marshall is... is..." Skye began to choke on her words while getting ready to tear up.

"HE'S NOT DEAD!" shouted Chase so loud, that even the thunder above was muted by his scream. "Marshall is not dead! He wouldn't break his promise! Never!" Nostrils flaring, he saw that Skye looked at him with fear and was shivering. Sense came back to him as he shook his head and looked away in shame. "I'm sorry, Skye, but he can't be dead. There is no body. No smell of death. And look at the way the truck has crashed; it had to have come from above."

Skye did indeed look at the truck, which had landed front first into the earth. Looking up, she saw a cliff right above it. "Arf! Wings!"

Her jet pack opened up from her Pup-Pack and she flew up towards the cliff. Chase watched her fly up as he cursed himself for yelling at her. His father told him the most important thing for a police dog was to remain calm and professional at all times. And I haven't done a very good job of that have I?

Chase felt exhaustion slowly overcome him. Everything that had happened in the last few hours was slowly breaking him, and he didn't know how much more he could take. But I have to keep going. I have to find Marshall! He had to find Marshall, apologize to him, knock him on the head for leaving, and then hug him and say how much he loved his brother.

"Chase! I found paw tracks! Marshall must have jumped out of his truck before it crashed!" shouted Skye's voice on his communicator tag.

At that moment, Skye's voice was like that of an angel of hope. Chase barked and replied, "Great work, Skye! I'll be up there in a moment!" He turned to his Pup-Pack. "Ruff! Zip line!"

The compartment for his zip line opened up and he shot it at the cliff before using it to bring him up. Reaching the top, Chase carefully climbed up until he reached the road where Skye was waiting for him. He saw the tracks and sighed with relief. "He's alive, Skye. He's alive."

Skye smiled and nodded. "Then let's keep looking."

"Wait!" said Chase, making her pause and look at him. Nervously, he rubbed the back of his neck with his paw. "I... I'm sorry I yelled at you. It was wrong."

Skye gave a small smile before walking over to Chase and nuzzling him. "It's okay. You're worried about Marshall. We'll find him, Chase."

Chase blushed a bit, but soon reminded himself he was on a mission. Now was not the time to be thinking of such thoughts. He lowered himself to the ground and began to use his nose to follow the scent Marshall's tracks had left. He found himself making for a nearby cave not too far from where they landed.

It was dark and very deep, the kind of caves he and Jake sometimes liked to explore on occasion. "Ruff! Flashlight!" His compartment opened and his tool instantly flashed a beam of light into the cave where it fell upon something.

Upon seeing what it was, both pups froze at the sight of a large bear, but upon seeing what was in its mouth, Skye screamed.

It was Marshall's Tag. Bloody and chewed up.

The bear roared in fury.

Before Chase knew it, he was screaming and charged forward.