Chapter 42

After a long talk and a hug session with his parents, Marshall called for Ryder and his dad. Katie decided to stay behind, seeing as this was a family thing, and she was only here for support. When Marshall saw his owner's face to face for the first time in days he jumped of bed and into his arms, laughing and licking him. Ryder, with tears on his, laughed as he hugged his fire pup harder then he ever could.

Ryder's father smiled and scratched the dalmatian's ear. "Good to see you're among the living, Marshall."

"Thanks, Professor!" said Marshall before he turned to Ryder and whimpered. "I'm sorry. I wasn't a good Pup."

"What do you mean, Marshall?" asked Ryder.

"I... I ran away and worried everyone. Even worse, I made you all think I was dead. I'm so sorry." Marshall jumped off Ryder's arms and back towards the bed, his back facing his owner. "If... If you don't want me anymore... for what I did... I understand."

A surprise hug was the answer as Ryder whispered, "Don't ever say that Marshall. You're one of my Pups. If anything, this is my entire fault. I'm responsible for you and I failed. I'm so sorry."

"Ryder, it's not your fault!" shouted Marshall, turning around and shaking his head. "It's mine! I ran away!"

"But I should have stopped you or known what the other pups did," said Ryder.

"I didn't tell anyone! I should have gone to talk to you!"

"Enough!" shouted Ryder's Dad as he got their attention. "The truth is there is a lot to be blamed for, but there is no point in thinking about it as it's all in the past." He put his hand on both the Pup and owner and smiled at them. "You two found each other and you've learned from your mistakes. "That's the most important part."

He turned to his son. "Ryder, did you not scold the pups for their actions and organize the best rescue you could to find Marshall? Never once giving up until it seemed all was lost? You did your best to rescue Marshall and showed how much you cared for him. But most importantly, you kept calm when the situation called for it. And don't say you could have prevented this, your pups should have known better than to do what they did. And I have a feeling they know better now, thanks to this experience."

He then turned to Marshall. "Marshall, what you did was foolish, but we understand you were hurt. But never think that there isn't someone out there who loves you. You are family to me and Ryder, and he'll always be there for you. And I know you may be thinking the Pups betrayed you, but friends fight all the time. They care about you. Did you know that Chase and Skye fought a bear together because they believed it killed you?"

"Wait, that bear?! The one that hurt me?!" asked Marshall, jaw dropping.

"Yup. Chase and Skye ignored my orders to come home cause of the storm and continued to look for you. They fought that bear and won, for you."

Marshall just sat there, stunned beyond all reason. His friends. They fought for him. The almost died for him. He closed his eyes and nodded.

"Ryder, I think I need to talk to the pups."