Chapter 23

Marshall's brain finally kicked in just as the bear's claw was about to knock his face off. He quickly ducked and rushed forward, straight between the bear's legs. Marshall didn't dare stop running until he found himself smacked face first with the wall. "I'm okay," he said before hearing the roar of the bear again.

It was coming straight for him and Marshall didn't know what to do. Spotting a few rocks, he grabbed them with his mouth, lifted them in the air, and turned around before kicking them straight at the bear. A few made a direct hit the bear's face, including the eyes, which forced it to shut them, but it didn't stop him. Gasping, Marshall rolled out of the way just as the bear smashed head first into the wall, causing its nose to bleed. Marshall himself ended up scratching his back over a few pointy rocks, breaking his skin and drawing blood. He didn't even notice his collar getting loose and falling off.

He hissed, but now wasn't the time to reflect on his pain. He had to get out of the cave and fast. The problem was still the bear, it was now swiping it's paws everywhere and made it difficult to get out of the cave.

Any minute it was going to open its eyes and eat him for dinner. Marshall tried to think of a way to get out of this, thinking back to what Ryder taught him about bears during their trips into the woods. If you see a bear... you... punch it in the nose? No, that's sharks. Climb a tree? But there are no trees! Play dead? His eyes widened. Play dead! That's it! Good thing I happen to be the best Paw Patroler at that trick!

Grasping his chest, Marshall let out a few gags and coughs. "Ugh! You got me! Cave spinning! Vision is getting dark! Feel... so cold..." Marshall gave out one last cry before spinning round and landing on his back, all fours laid out in the air. He even lopped out his tongue for good measure.

The bear finally stopped and stared at the 'deceased' pup that was in his cave. He walked over, sniffed Marshall a few times before grunting and turning away. The bear, in turn, saw the shiny red collar an grabbed it while heading deeper into his cave to examine it.

Marshall, opening one of his eyes, saw the bear preoccupied, and slowly got up. He tiptoed as best as he could towards the entrance, but a loose rock he hit alerted the bear. Marshall quickly fell on his stomach, eyes closed, and rump raised while trying to act as limp as possible. The bear raised an eyebrow before shrugging and getting back to focusing on its new toy. Sweating the sweat off his brow with his ear, Marshall got up and quietly walked 'till he was outside of the cave, but then lightning flashed and he yelped.

Realizing his mistake, Marshall got back on his back and held his paws on his chest lying as straight as possible. The bear, now curious again, walked up to Marshall and started sniffing him again. This time, however, Marshall felt a sneeze coming and did his best to continue holding it in and play dead. Or else he was dead for real.

But it was too much and before Marshall knew it, he sneezed in front of the bear's face. His snot entered the beast's eyes and it roared in fury before striking it's paw. Marshall tried to move, but a painful cry echoed in the cave as it slashed his side. Still, Marshall pressed out of the cave, running as fast as his adrenaline could push him while ignoring the open gash in his side.