Chapter 12

Marshall sighed in relief as he came out from behind the tree. "Nothing like a pit stop after a long drive. And this time no angry squirrels." He had made good time so far on his journey to Jake's mountain and decided to stop for lunch. Reaching into his bag in his truck, he dragged out some dog bisects and began to eat. "Hmm, honey flavored. Rubble's favorite."

He frowned upon thinking of his… former friend and thought about how much fun he and the other pups used to challenge Rubble to eat as much as he could. For a little pup, he sure ate a lot and made a lot of messes when he did. Marshall chuckled, thinking on the day Ryder took the to their first public restaurant and Rubble ended up eating the entire buffet in an hour. Good thing it was all you can eat.

Marshall shook his head. "No, don't think about them anymore. They don't want to be your friend, so you don't need to think about them."

He packed the food away, finding himself no longer hungry. Maybe I just need a good rest. That's all.

He lay on the grass and closed his eyes, hoping to get some Zs before hitting the road again. It was actually kind of nice to be sleeping in the wilderness instead of the Lookout. No sound of Ryder or the other pups doing what they were doing. Not even Zuma, snoring beside him. The two of them curling next to each other in case they had a bad dream. Zuma always used to have those so each of the team slept next to him in his first weeks at the Lookout.

Marshall began to slowly lose focus and fell into a good sleep, but never noticed the tear dripping down his cheek.