Chapter 18

When Marshall started his runaway journey into Jake's mountain, a lot of questions plagued his mind. Most of them were about the Paw Patrol and whether or not it was right to abandon his duties like that while also abandoning the people who depended on him. He also wondered if his friends really did hate him or was it just a heat of the moment? Plus, there were his parents. He could have gone to them easily or even ask Ryder to just go home, but he felt too ashamed to face his parents as a failure.

But the biggest question that was on Marshall's mind at the moment was if he made a wrong turn somewhere. The mountain area he was traveling in was unfamiliar to him, and he had been on this mountain a lot in the past. Great, another thing I'm not good at. Following the stupid road.

He turned to his left and saw the growing storm in the distance, which made his tail shiver. If he didn't find Jake's soon, he was going to have to hold out against the storm. Maybe... Maybe I call Ryder. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

It meant facing the consequences for his actions, and his former friends, but Marshall knew it was smarter than ending up in the middle of the storm with no protection. Just as he was about to press his dog tag, he gasped upon seeing a family of bunnies hopping in his truck's way. "Woah! Look out!"

Turning the truck to the right, Marshall and his truck flew off the path and started going down hill. Sharp rocks scattered everywhere as Marshall bumped and jerked in his seat, doing his best not to get motion sick. He tried pressing the breaks, but the ridge was too steep. "I like rocky road, but this is ridiculous!"

Marshall then gasped when he saw what the hill was leading him too: a deep cliff with a one way ticket to puppy heaven. He tried pressing the brakes again, but they refused to budge. Marshall's scream echoed in the valley as the fire truck reached the edge and began to plummet to his doom. Without thinking, he cried out, "Arf! Ladder!"

His ladder opened up from behind and Marshall turned around, jumping on to it as it continued to extend while he climbed up as fast as he could. When he reached the end, he jumped as high as he could and grabbed the ledge of the cliff, saving himself just in the nick of time. Grunting, he climbed up and lay on his back, panting over and over again. "That... was too close....'

CRASH!

Marshall's heart sank as he opened his eyes and carefully peered over the cliff. He whimpered upon seeing his prized firetruck smashed and on fire. Even worse was everything that he owned was down there. His food. Clothing. Gear. All Marshall had with him now was his collar.

"I really did it this time..." whispered Marshall, shaking his head. "How could this be any worse?"

Just as soon as he said that, a crash of lighting echoed in the air as rain began to fall down on him. "Of course."