Chapter 40

The moment the call ended, everyone got into their vehicles and rushed off for Jake's mountain, sirens blaring. Chase was pretty sure that everyone in Adventure Bay was confused by this, but that wasn't important. What was important was that Marshall, his brother, was alive. Chase wanted to cry, he probably was, but he was too busy rushing ahead of the rest of the pack as they drove up the mountain.

Chase had so many things he wanted to say to Marshall, but most importantly was the apology. He didn't care if Marshall forgave him or not, he just wanted to hug him and tell him how sorry he was. He looked behind him and saw the rest of the Paw Patrol, Ryder's ATV, and his father's truck containing Katie and Marshall's parents. Looking up, he saw his crush, Skye, not too far behind him. He blushed thinking about how they confessed just moments ago and were about to kiss. Are we... boyfriend and girlfriend now?

He knew they had to have a talk, but only after they had talked to Marshall first.

Before he knew it, he reached the main cabin where Jake and Everest lived and was about to rush inside when the Pup and owner stood in front of the door. "Wow, dude. Can't go in there yet. We need to talk."

"Jake, you have to let me in! I need to see Marshall!" shouted Chase, growling and showing his teeth.

Upon seeing her owner threatened, Everest stood up in front of Chase and growled back. "He said to wait. If you actually use your head for a change you won't do something stupid like you did to Marshall."

"What did you say?! I'm his best friend!" shouted Chase.

"At least I was a better friend than you six were!" shouted Everest.

"You don't-"

"Chase! Heel!"

Ryder's command instantly made him stop and sit down. He slowly turned around and saw how the others were staring at him with either worry or disappointment. Ryder walked up, shaking is head before he put his hand on his dog's head. "I know you want to see Marshall, but yelling at the ones who saved him isn't going to help."

Chase whimpered in shame as he looked at Marshall's saviors and bowed. "I-I'm sorry. You're right, Everest. I haven't been a good friend. I helped make this horrible mistake happen. Forgive me?"

Everest didn't say anything, but sighed. "I'll forgive you if Marshall does. Which leads us to what we need to talk about."

"Marshall wants to talk to you in three groups," said Jake, shaking his head. "Dude's been through a lot and wants to get some stuff of his chest."

"Does he hate us?" asked Rubble, whimpering.

Jake and Everest looked at each other before the former answered, "We don't know. That's up to you guys to find out."

The five pups sighed and lowered their heads even further. Chase closed his eyes and realized that he might never get Marshall's trust again after what happened. Yet, we deserve it. Our actions caused all this to happen. If Marshall can't forgive me or the other pups, I'll... I'll just have to live the burden for the rest of my life.

"Whose going first?" asked Ryder's father.

"He wants his parents first," said Everest.

Without wasting a second, the two adult damatians rushed in to see their son followed by Jake and Everest.