Chapter 2 (Fri, Dec 1, 2017)

When I later walked out of the building of the university, I saw that it had come true what I had wished for this morning. Everything was under a thin cover of snow, glittering in the few light of the sun that fought its way through the foggy air. In the magical atmosphere, it seemed like everything was under a charm. While walking, I paid attention to put my foot only in the footprints of other students, not wanting to destroy the miracle mother nature had gifted us.

Suddenly, I heard the crunching sound of feet running through the snow.

"Victoria!" a female voice called.

I stopped my walk and turned around. There was Ashley, who just had caught up.

Ashley towered over my petite built body like most people did and I felt myself shrinking, even more, when I realized a lot of students were looking at us in curiosity. Quickly, I pulled up my façade that was drifting away and gave her a cold polite smile. Her smile dropped a bit when she saw my expression but she still exclaimed: "There is a party tonight at my place! Do you wanna come?"

If she would pay attention to me, she would've realized that I never went to parties. I didn't even have friends.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I can come," I replied.

"Oh." 

She seemed to be sad. 

The reason for her sadness was a mystery to me. We didn't even know each other! 

She pulled out something from the pocket of her jacket. "Here's the address if you change your mind."

I took the small piece of paper she gave me and saw the address of her house. It was situated in one of the parts of Boston where people with average income lived. Someone my mother wouldn't even give a side glance.

At the thought of my mother, I had to gulp. When I was back at the apartment, I would have to make the obligatory call to tell her about my progress at Harvard.

I shook off my the really not exciting thought and looked at Ashley, who was apparently waiting for me to say something.

"I don't think I will come."

"But still." 

She showed me her pearly white teeth, they were blending me together with the snow. Then she walked back to her big group of friends.

A bit confused by her incredibly positive personality, I continued my way to the subway.

When I finally reached the luxurious house that contained my apartment, the snow was already melting, the only leftover was a dark dirty snow-mud. Cars passing by drove through puddles and the mud splattered all around. When I was inside my apartment, I noticed that some had splashed on my black jeans, that was the reason why I changed my jeans to another one. I groaned in annoyance when I saw that my bag was also stained by a big stain of dirty water. The bag had a very light gray color and you could make out the stains easily. I sighed. My mother would be back from her workplace, the hospital for plastic surgery, at 5 PM and there was still almost more than an hour left. That would be enough time for me to buy a new bag.

It was a tiring day and I didn't want to go shopping outside while being this tired, so I just went for online shopping, which was also very stressful. I wanted to choose a brightly colored bag, but I knew my mother would prohibit it, so I just looked for another design. In the end, I just chose the same bag as the old one I had before and closed the laptop after buying it.

A quick look at my watch revealed that there was still half an hour left. So, I decided to satisfy my growling stomach and went to the kitchen. I walked to the fridge and looked at the portion of the spaghetti with red sauce I had made the day before. Yesterday, I had cooked a double amount of food because I knew that today wouldn't be enough time for me to cook something new. On the one hand, because my university lessons were the longest on Friday, on the other hand, because I had to call my mother every Friday. There was barely time to eat because after the call my mother expected me to learn for the whole weekend.

I warmed up the food. When it was warm enough, a fast glance at the watch showed that I had only ten minutes left to eat. The food was still hot, so, by turns, I first shoved food into my mouth and then hastily gulped down cold water. I tried to eat as fast as possible. If my mother could see me now, she would give me a disapproving look and order to stop eating like someone who almost starved to death. She would tell me that I was born in High Society and I'd have to stop looking like a poor person.

When I had swallowed the last bite, I quickly grabbed my phone and called the one of my few contacts that was saved under "Mother".

I heard how she picked up after five seconds. First, there was nothing apart from a disapproving silence that made me nervous. I fidgeted a bit on the chair, trying to find a comfortable position. Then I heard her say without a hint of emotion in her voice: "You're two minutes too late."

I shuddered, hearing her cold voice. 

"I'm sorry," I replied.

"Cut it out. How is the university going?"

"I got the results for last week's exams."

"And?"

"100 percent in Human Genetics."

"And?"

I swallowed hard. Now there came the part of the conversation I had wanted to avoid. 

"99 percent in Human Anatomy."

Silence.

I didn't know what to do and fidgeted on the chair. I was afraid of what was coming next, my mother was unpredictable.

"You know that Human Anatomy is one of the most important classes, am I right?"

She didn't scream. In her voice was neither anger nor any other emotion. If I could hear the rage in her voice, I would be relieved. I would feel treated as a human. But hearing her ice-cold voice, sharp like a diamond, cutting through my body, I knew what I was to her.

An item.

An object.

Made to be used.

And I knew that I would never be more to her.

"You know that you need it to become a surgeon. So why do you not try hard?"

I trembled, almost falling off the chair.

"I'm sorry, mother," I whispered.

"Now go study. You have to be the best. Study for the whole weekend."

With this, she ended the call.

My breath came short and choppy. I felt like in the huge apartment was no atom oxygen left. I slid down the chair and fell on the hard ground, pain flashing through my body.

I knew what that was. It was a panic attack. But I was not able to stop the tears that started to form. My sight blurred.

I don't know what would have happened if it wouldn't have been stopped. Maybe I would have fainted.

But at the moment when everything blurred, I heard the notification that I received a text on my phone. I tried to calm myself and this time it surprisingly worked. If this was my mother, maybe it was important.

Still feeling dizzy, I stood up and walked to the table where my phone laid. I opened my texting app and saw that the text I received was from an unknown number.

+82 XX XXXX XXXX:
Hello! Is this Steve Aoki?

____

1298 words

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Next chapter she will text Namjoon for the first time, I hope you are excited!

Anyways, thank you for reading, I purple you!!!<3

Website of the picture above: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/2/13/snow-fashion-guide-harvard/