TWO: Changes To Life

Their kids, Kiera and Cooper, didn't take the news very well and Cooper was pissed. He ran off for a couple of days to Jake's, house. Carol, Jake's mom, offered to help in any way they needed. That included letting Cooper stay with Jake.

Jake Benson was his best friend. Cooper was sixteen and Ivy was trying to let him make more of his own choices. It was tough to let go.

Kiera was Ivy's step daughter but she always felt like a daughter. Kiera told her mom, who lived in another state, and she was coming to the funeral and then taking Kiera home. She didn't have much compassion for anyone and Ivy secretly wished bad things for her. She was pissed. Kiera was her daughter too.

It didn't take long and Ivy didn't have a lot of time to grieve before he died. She was his nurse when the nurses weren't there. It was fast. Eight weeks from diagnosis to the funeral.

It was a blur at that point. Damien and Ivy said everything they needed to before the end. Ivy cried over his body and made the calls that were on the list by his bed.

His mother, Greta, who Ivy adored, just moved to Florida with husband number five. She was coming with him. His name was Bert. She liked him from what she heard on the phone.

He had a lot of money but so did Greta. They were both set for their life and a couple other people's lives. Greta had accounts set up for the grandkids when they were older.

Keira was seventeen. She had a birthday coming up. She was Damien's child from a previous marriage and had primary custody. Her mom had her on holidays.

Everything was changing now. Keira's mother came to the funeral and just took Kiera back home with her. Damien had custody but he was gone. Ivy was losing her daughter too.

Damien had one brother and they were close. Sebastian Shaw. He was a big movie star now so they didn't talk like they should. He even directed his last film that he was also the lead.

She only met him once at their wedding and he came when Cooper was born. He kept busy but Damien and Sebastian talked a lot. They were very close.

Ivy would just say hi in passing while Damien was talking. She didn't know Sebastian. She knew he was a big part of Damien's life but he was never part of her's.

Ivy bought his movies in secret because she was a huge fan, even before she met Damien. The last one was a good movie but didn't want anyone to know that she was a huge fan of her brother-in-law. That was the one secret that she kept from Damien. Ivy was surprised that Sebastian made it to the funeral.

Sebastian paused filming for his brother. They were close and he loved his brother and his niece and nephew. He didn't know his sister-in-law very well but she seemed nice and took care of Damien. He was crushed that his brother was gone. He loved him and didn't know what he would do now. Who would he talk to now?

He watched Ivy. Damien talked about her all the time but Sebastian stayed away. Damien understood. He watched his sister-in-law close all week. She loved Damien and that was good enough for Sebastian.

He wanted to be closer to his brother's family but he just didn't always have the time he wanted. That was the lie that he told himself every day. He wanted to be closer but he just couldn't. There was so much to tell and no one to talk to now.

Damien always said that his family would understand but Sebastian never had the nerve so he stayed distant. He wasn't sure what to do now. Losing his brother was a great loss and he felt it.

They stayed in touch on the phone over the years and Damien kept him informed when a big event happened for the family. They texted a lot more when that became popular.