THIRTY-NINE: A Cop Would be Cool

The football season was going well and they were at the last game of the championships. Jake led the team all the way. If they won this game, they won the state championships. Sebastian was proud of Jake. Things were good again.

Grandma Greta had taken over Cooper's room and it looked like gypsies lived there. There were a lot of colorful clothes that covered lamps and the windows. There were candles and incense. Cooper didn't know about gypsies but this was how he pictured them.

The game was going very well. Everyone was cheering. His teammates actually respected Jake but they did tease him about being gay. It was all in fun and Jake knew it. They would call Cooper his girlfriend. Cooper would glare and warn them that they were next. They all laughed. They all knew Cooper too.

Jake threw the perfect throw. He knew when it left his hand that it was going where he threw it. He smiled. It was the winning touchdown and he knew they won before his teammate caught the ball.

He didn't hear it but he felt the pain. It stung his shoulder and he fell as the touchdown was made. The game was won but Jake was on the ground. A man was storming onto the field with his gun drawn. It was pointed at Jake. Corey. He was in tears. Cops were rushing the field as Sebastian stood up.

Ivy grabbed him. "You can't!" Everyone would know and that would expose too many people this wasn't just about them. It was all of the vampires. Sebastian couldn't. He held onto Ivy but Cooper charged the field. He tackled Corey before anyone else could get there. His elbow was in his neck.

"If you move, Corey, I will kill you!" Cooper was in tears. A cop kicked the gun away from Corey and three more had him in cuffs. One cop helped Cooper off the ground. There were people surrounding Jake and he wasn't moving.

"Jake!" Cooper rushed through people. They had him on a gurney with a blanket over him. Cooper thought he was dead. "Is he dead?"

"No! No. But we have to get him to the hospital. You can meet them there, Cooper. Okay. They will do what they can. Just go. We have him." The coach was shaken up. Cooper stood there while the gurney was taken to a waiting ambulance.

Sebastian pulled Cooper to him. "Let's go. They are taking him to St. John's." They rushed to the car. Ivy and Grandma Greta were already in the car.

Cooper sat and waited for hours. Jake was in surgery and that was all they knew. Cooper hoped that Corey got what he deserved. He hated him. He bounced his foot and rubbed his face. He just kept breathing. He couldn't lose Jake. He was in tears and couldn't stop them. Grandma just gave him a box of kleenex.

"What if..." Ivy started.

Cooper looked up and shook his head. "No! No what if nothing. He's fine. He has to be." Jake stood and paced. The coach walked in and shook Sebastian's hand.

"I'm Coach Walker. I'm so sorry about this! Have you heard anything?"

Cooper shook his head and kept pacing.

Officers Bells and Minks walked in the waiting room. "Cooper. How are you holding up?" Bells asked the stupid question.

Cooper shook his head. He couldn't talk. Michael Bells just walked over and hugged him. Cooper just cried in his chest. Joe Minks touched his back. They were just going to hang out. Cooper calmed down again. Coach Walker waited with the family as did Joe and Michael.

Cooper dozed off in a chair until he almost fell out of it. He stood and went for coffee. Ivy was by the coffee in tears. "Sorry Cooper. I am so scared!"

Cooper nodded. "Me too. I love him, Mom! I can't lose him, I won't survive!"

Ivy nodded. He would but it would be tough. She just hugged her son. The doctor walked up to them. "Are you waiting for Jake Benson?" He figured they were.

Everyone was in the hall. "Yes." Two cops, the coach, Sebastian, Ivy, Greta and Cooper all said it at the same time.

The doctor smiled. "I see. I'm Dr. Kruger. Jake is going to be fine." Everyone inhaled. "He had some damage to his left shoulder muscles and he got a bone graft. The bullet broke off part of his shoulder blade but with a little physical therapy, he will be just fine."

Cooper dove on the doctor and cried. He couldn't say anything but the doctor must have been used to it because he just hugged him back. Sebastian pulled Cooper away and took a hug. "Hey, he's going to be okay." Cooper just nodded but he was a mess.

"He is in recovery but in about an hour, we will have him in a room. Someone will come for you. Okay?" Dr. Kruger looked worried.

Ivy cleared her throat. "Thanks, Dr. Kruger. Thanks." She smiled. He nodded and walked back down the hall. Cooper held onto Sebastian and took a breath.

Coach Walked smiled. "Well, that is wonderful news. I am going to head out and let everyone know. You tell him I will see him in the morning." He hugged Ivy and left.

Joe and Michael nodded. "We will stay until you go to the room. Hang out and talk. If that's okay?" Joe asked.

Cooper stood and nodded. "Sure. Thanks." He wiped his face. "I need a bathroom!" He knew he was going to look like shit. He walked in and sure enough, he looked like shit. He washed his face with cold water and hated Corey some more. He took a breath. He didn't lose Jake! Jake was alive and he was kissing him as soon as he was in the same room!

"Thank all the stars in the heavens and all of God's angels!" Michael sighed. He was relieved.

Joe put an arm around Michael and nodded. "I second that. Thank God himself!" Michael nodded.

Sebastian was silent. He couldn't talk about the vampire and how useless he felt. He knew this wasn't about him but he could have tried to stop it. He did nothing and he hated himself. Jake was alive. His son was okay. Sebastian wiped a tear and another. He started shaking. He could have lost Jake.

Ivy wrapped around him. "Sebastian. Jake's fine."

Sebastian nodded but he could help feel guilty. "I couldn't do anything, Ivy!" He was upset.

Cooper walked in. "We know that, Uncle Sebastian. He knows. I know he does. This isn't your fault. It's that bastard Corey's fault!" He hated Corey.

Sebastian took a breath. "No way you could have known some crazy with a gun was going to start shooting!" Michael pointed out.

"That was Jake's dad, Corey Benson." Cooper pointed out.

Michael Bells stood up. "What!? No shit? His dad just tried to kill him at a football game? What?"

Joe pulled him down. "We didn't realize that was Jake's dad. Ex-dad."

Sebastian nodded. "It was. Cooper tackled him like a pro though! That was awesome!"

Michael smiled. "Damn right. You would make an excellent cop, Cooper!"

Joe smiled. "Yes, you would. What are you planning to do when you graduate?"

Cooper sighed. "I have no idea." He thought about it. "A cop would be cool!" He smiled.

Thanks for reading and smack that cute star right in the face.