FORTY: Waiting Room

Michael Bells and Joe Minks took off when the nurse came for the family. Sebastian held Ivy's hand and Cooper followed. He was still worried. He had to see Jake soon. He was in room one eleven. It was a private room. Cooper closed the door as they entered. Jake was a little groggy and there was a machine beeping. His heart rate and blood pressure were on the screen. He looked very pale.

Ivy sat beside him and took his hand. "Jake."

Jake's eyelids fluttered and he made a humming noise. He was asleep. They all sat and waited quietly. Cooper was anxious. He was still scared. He thought of maybe that Jake was in a comma or worse. His dad looked awful before he died too. Cooper had to breathe or he was passing out. He inhaled.

Sebastian stood and gave Cooper a seat by the bed. He took Jake's hand gently. "Hey, you homo!" Cooper glared.

Ivy was about to say something but Jake smiled. "You're the homo!" It was weak but it was a voice.

Cooper laughed and wiped a tear. "I'm not leaving until you walk out of this room, you asshole!"

Jake smiled again. He lightly squeezed Cooper's hand and drifted back to sleep. Sebastian and Ivy left Cooper in the room and they opted to go home for the night. What was left of it. The sun was rising when they got to the apartment.

Cooper slept in the chair with his head on Jake's leg. Someone was in and out a couple of times checking the machine and taking blood but Cooper didn't move. Cooper felt a hand in his hair and he looked at Jake. His eyes were open.

Cooper almost dove on him and kissed his mouth. "Jake! Hi!" He kissed him again.

"Hello." Jake smiled. "Hell of a way to end a season, huh!"

Cooper had tears. "Don't ever scare me again!"

Jake nodded. "Sorry. Did they get the bastard that shot me?" Jake had no idea who it was.

Cooper nodded.

"Who was it? Do you know?" Jake wanted to know.

Cooper shook his head he couldn't tell him his dad shot him. "Jake, I am so sorry!" He was crying.

"Did you shoot me?" Jake smiled.

Cooper shook his head and laughed. "No! I am just so sorry because it was...maybe we should wait." Cooper didn't want to be the one to say it.

"Just tell me?"

"I don't want to be the one to say it, Jake!" Cooper was scared.

"Who was it?" Jake knew. "It was Corey, wasn't it?" He knew by the look that Cooper had. His own father shot him. "That sick fucker!"

Just then someone was bringing breakfast. Cooper got a tray also, the nurse on the floor saw to it. She checked on them a few times and they were so sweet. She knew the visitor wouldn't leave for food.

Cooper nodded. "I agree. I tackled him."

Jake smiled. "You did?"

Cooper nodded. "I took off when I heard the shot! I rushed to him and tackled him until the cops pulled me off. I stuck my elbow into his neck, I was trying to break it. He was going to shoot you again!"

"Fucker! Did you see that throw though! Cooper, it was perfect!" Jake smiled.

Cooper laughed with Jake. "Eat your breakfast!" He opened the lid and helped him unwrap his oatmeal. They ate in silence.

The nurse came in. she wanted to check on them. "You guys doing okay?"

"Yes. I was starving." Jake smiled.