SIX: Stubborn And Independent

After the embarrassing shower scene that Ivy would revisit the rest of her life, she ate breakfast that Sebastian made for dinner. It was actually perfect and she just realized she was starving.

Sebastian was looking in the fridge."I am going to the store and stock this fridge." It was almost empty. "What happened?" He slammed the fridge door.

"I got pissed earlier and threw out everything that people brought. I don't know why. I did that and then cried on the floor until I passed out." Ivy sighed.

"I couldn't stand seeing all of that fucking food from people who pitied me." She stood up to take her plate to the sink.

"Sympathy food is the worst! I couldn't stand to look at it anymore. All that food in this empty house." It reminded her that she was really all alone now.

Sebastian moved to her. He took her face in his hands. "I care about you and I am buying you food. It had better stay in this fucking fridge. Clear." His eyes were bright green.

"Okay," Ivy whispered.

Sebastian should have moved but he was just staring at her. She was just gorgeous. He had a strong urge to kiss her.

Cooper walked in the back door that was in the kitchen, where they were. "Uh, hello? Uncle Sebastian?" He thought he left. "I thought you left?"

Sebastian dropped his hands and backed up. "Cooper!" He smiled. "I missed my flight. Mind if I stay the weekend?"

He watched his nephew. He was a cute kid. He looked a lot like Damien. Blonde hair that was in need of a haircut and pretty blue eyes. Cooper had Ivy's nose. He looked like a happy kid and that made Sebastian happy. Damien was a good dad. He could tell that Cooper missed him.
"No! That would be so cool!" Cooper's face lit up. "I'm starving, food? Where is all the food?" He looked around. When he left after school at noon, there was food everywhere. The kitchen looked empty now!

"Ask your mother." Sebastian stared at Ivy. "When was your last meal, Ivy?"

Ivy cleared her throat. "Breakfast. You just made me breakfast."

"Before that." Sebastian's voice was flat.

"Oh...I..." Ivy had no answer.

Cooper looked sad. "She hasn't really eaten much since we found out that Dad was..."

"That had been nine weeks. You have to take care of yourself, Ivy." He was worried about her.

"I am not any of your business! Leave me alone!" Ivy was mad, hurting, grieving and she found it easy to just yell at Sebastian. "I don't need you to boss me around."

She stormed down the hall. She was going to go to her room but no...Damien was there. The car. She went for the keys.

"You are not driving angry!" Sebastian yelled and stormed to her. He took the keys from her hand but she was fighting for them. "I can't lose you too!" He took a breath and stopped.

Ivy stopped moving. "I am not yours, Sebastian." She whispered and stormed to the guest room and slammed the door.

"Wow. I fucked that up!" Sebastian sighed.

Cooper laughed. "Yep! So food?"

Sebastian laughed. "Come on." He took his nephew to the store and let him pick what he wanted. Sebastian still got the good food too. Lots of fruits and veggies. He was taking care of her if it killed him.

He bought expensive cookies for Ivy and some wine for both of them. He was cooking a nice dinner tonight for her. For them. That's what he meant. He was hungry too. He had to eat so it might as well be good.

"She is always like that," Cooper said while they were in the bread aisle.

"What?"

"Oh, Mom. Stubborn and independent. She will never accept help. She is a menace!" Cooper smiled. "She is very strong. Dad always said that. Sometimes, she wouldn't let him help her either. They have separate bank accounts and cars. Even the bills are split up."

"Why is she like that?" Sebastian had to ask.

"I don't know. I know she was pretty much on her own when she was growing up. I only heard bits of it. Her mom died and her dad went to prison. I think he may have killed her mom. I'm not sure."

"She was in a foster home but ran away when she was sixteen and worked. Put herself through school. She's really smart, Uncle Sebastian. Really." Cooper thought the world of his mom. "Stubborn to a fault. That's what Dad always said."

"But he loved her?"

"Yes. I think so. They fought like you do with her but they were in love. She never left his side when we found out. Never. I don't know if she is going to survive this and I'm scared." Cooper wiped a tear and looked away.

"I heard you were moving." Sebastian was changing the subject a little.

"Yes. I'm nervous but excited about that. I can't wait. Jake and I walked past the apartment last night. We will be close. Right now, he is across town. I ride my bike in good weather and in bad weather, Mom takes me." Cooper sighed. "But soon, we will be right there too! I like that part."

Sebastian smiled. "It's good to have friends like that."

"Does she have friends like that?" Sebastian had to ask.

Cooper laughed. "No. She lives at the store when she isn't running us around. She is always going. I don't know. I know Dad was her best friend. They always said that. They were sweet together."

"I know. I talked to your dad about her. He loved her." Sebastian sighed. "Let's get to the checkout before I buy more junk!"

"I know. Oh, can we get donuts?" Cooper was taking advantage of his uncle.

"Sure." He stopped Cooper. "I know you are taking advantage but I am overlooking it for now."

Cooper laughed and put two boxes in the cart. Sebastian laughed. "How old are you, twenty?"

Cooper smiled. "Sixteen."

"I know. Seem older."

"Jake's mom calls me an old soul. I don't know what that means. I am different from kids my age and Jake is the only one that gets me." Cooper smiled.

"Is he your ...friend?" Sebastian was implying something and he saw Cooper blush. "Does your mom know?"

Cooper laughed. "She would freak out! We are friends and he is my best friend, Uncle Sebastian. I...think I might have a crush on him but Jake doesn't talk about that stuff. His family doesn't talk and I don't want to ruin anything. I like us the way we are. What if I say something and ruin everything?" Cooper was always worried about that because he wasn't sure he was into guys.

Sebastian nodded. "Very responsible of you. I don't have any advice in that area. Don't worry. I won't tell Ivy but you should. She's cool and may be able to help you. You may want to wait until she isn't crazy anymore." They both laughed.

Jake was happy that is uncle was easy to talk to. Jake wasn't even sure he was gay and couldn't even say it out loud.

Thanks for reading and smack that cute star right in the face.