TWENTY-FOUR: Who's To Blame

"Ivy! We have a situation up front. You may want to...uh.." Vera had tears "Hurry!"

Sebastian stood and Ivy followed. "What?" She walked into the shop. Cooper was holding Jake up. Someone beat him up, Ivy knew that much.

"What happened?" Sebastian rushed to Jake. Ivy pulled a chair for him.

Cooper was a mess. "His dad found out!" It was all Cooper said. He was shaking.

Ivy was pissed. "Corey did this to you! Oh Sweetheart!" She rushed out and came back with a terry cloth with ice in it. "Put this on your eye." Carol and Corey were getting a piece of her mind.

Jake made a hissing noise. "Thanks." He was in pain.

Cooper couldn't stop shaking. "I am so sorry! I am! This was my fault, Mom. I went to Jake's. He was supposed to come over but he got in trouble but Carol said I could come over to the house. I just wanted to see him."

Jake sighed.

"Why? Why did they ground you?" Ivy asked and Sebastian had a feeling he knew.

"I got caught sneaking in this morning." Jake sighed. His dad punched him hard. His face hurt. He wiped a tear.

"What?" Ivy had no idea.

"You may not want to know, Ivy." Sebastian sighed. He knew.

Jake looked at Sebastian. "You know!"

"Cooper and I talked. I didn't tell your mom!" Sebastian was afraid he messed up. He looked at Ivy. "I'm sorry. I was waiting for Cooper to talk to you."

"About?" Ivy was asking once.

Cooper looked down. "Jake was in my room all night." He sighed. Jake looked guilty.

Ivy stared. "You guys...?" She saw Cooper look guilty and she started laughing. "Sorry. I know this isn't funny. I'm sorry. You should have just told me, Cooper. I thought you guys weren't ready for that!"

"Things happened." Cooper sighed.

"I'm sorry, Ivy!" Jake shed a tear. He was worried she would be pissed.

She looked at Jake. "Sweetie! I'm sorry. I'm not mad, I was just shocked because you guys said you weren't ready yet! What happened?"

Jake sighed. "I got halfway up the stairs to my room when my mom was at the top. She asked where I was. I told her I fell asleep at Cooper's. I walked past her and she stopped me. She asked who the girl was because I had a hickey that I didn't know about. I don't know how she knew anything."

"Moms know. Hell, I knew when I saw Cooper this morning." Sebastian smiled.

"Right. She knew and she was fine with the hickey but she pressed for a name and followed me to my room. I told her to drop it and closed the door. I thought it was over. I got grounded for my attitude." Jake sighed.

"Then Cooper showed up to play video games. I was making a sandwich in the kitchen, Mom and Dad were there. She was telling Dad about my girlfriend. I just wanted to tell them to shut up." He adjusted his ice pack.

"Cooper walked in and I smiled. I couldn't stop it. I was so happy to see him. He said hi and I said hi. I was trying to act normal but I didn't feel normal."

"I really just wanted to storm over and kiss Cooper. We had changed and I knew they would guess. My dad cursed and stood up. He started screaming at me. Called me names. Called Cooper names. I threw the first punch!" Jake wiped a tear.

"He blamed everything on Cooper and I couldn't allow him to talk to Cooper that way. He almost fell over when I hit him, I hit him hard. He was stunned for a second but he stood and..."

Cooper took a breath. "He was coming for me and Jake stopped him."

"He swung for Cooper and punched me and told me to get the fuck out. He said..." Jake stopped.

Cooper put an arm around Jake. Jake couldn't repeat it. "He said fags weren't allowed in his house!" Cooper wiped a tear. "This was my fault."

"Well, I don't think that's true!" Vera was there. "This day and age. I would think people were over the whole gay thing!"

"Not my parents. They expect things from me. Girls, football, Dartmouth, like my dad. Honor roll and top of my class. Girls! I was to be the model student, the model child and then join him in his law firm."

"My life was planned for me the day I was born." Jake wiped his face. "I don't know what to do now!" Jake was shaking.

Cooper pulled him closer and kissed his head. "I'm sorry! I didn't know about the hickey! That was an accident."

"It's fine. I don't blame you, Cooper. I don't. I love you!" He stopped. He hadn't meant to say that.

Cooper blushed.

Sebastian laughed. "Well, fuck."

Vera sighed. "That is just beautiful! I have so many gay friends I could introduce you to!" She saw a look from Sebastian. "When you are older!" Vera smiled. She went to the back and found some soda. She got the boys some drinks. Cooper liked her. She was very nice.

Ivy was pissed. "I will be back." She touched Jake's arm and rushed out of the store and straight to Jake's. She banged on the door. "Open up, Carol!"

Carol was there. She was clearly upset. "Ivy."

"How could you!" Ivy was crying. "He is your son!"

"How could you let your son corrupt our baby!" Carol was furious.

"You kicked him out!" Ivy didn't understand them.

"His clothes are in the garbage by the road. It's all I can do." Carol stopped. "Hold on." She walked back with a check. "This is for any inconvenience. I, we, don't want to see him again!"

Ivy looked at the check. "I don't want your fucking money, Carol. Shove it up your ass!" She wadded it up and threw it in Carol's face and stormed to the garbage and pulled out three sacks of clothes.

Sebastian was there. "Let's get these to my place. He can stay with me. Okay?"

"I love you!" Ivy didn't mean to say it but she did.

"We can talk later." He touched her face. He carried two large bags and Ivy carried the third to his apartment. 

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

A/N --hope that wasn't so bad and you enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading and smack that cute star right in the face.