28} Concealment, Part 1

Book 4} Chapter 28
Concealment, Part 1
隠蔽、パート1

"Huh?" we asked in unison.
"Do you know what infantile amnesia is?" Ray asked.
"No. What is it?" I asked.

"How far back in your life can you remember?" Ray asked us.
"To when I was about three or four years old?" Norman said.
"Me too," Emma and I replied.

"Usually people forget the memories of when they were a baby. That's infantile amnesia. But there are some humans who don't forget," Ray explained.
"Ray, do you mean..." I trialed off.
"I have memories from when I was a fetus. My first memory is of being inside a dark, warm liquid. The voice of my mother coming to my ears. A hollow lullaby. I never knew my parents. I only have fragmentary. Pieces of a puzzle. Eventually we were divided into groups of five. And passing through a dark tunnel, I arrived here," Ray told us.

"One year before coming to this orphanage?" Emma asked.
"Yeah," Ray responded
"Hold on. So past the gate isn't the outside but..." I trailed off.
"Headquarters. There were inconsistencies between my own memories and the reality before me. I finally understood once I was able to read. My memories were correct. This wasn't an orphanage. Reality was a fabrication. I checked with Mom on my sixth birthday. Mom was surprised for a moment. And that made me confident it was true. That's all," he told us.

"I was going to tell you when I was sure you'd keep your promise," Ray then said.
"Promise?" Emma and I asked in unison.

"And you also figured it our, right? Headquarters and the adjacent five plants. Those make up Grace Field House. The gate won't serve as an escape route. Once we pass it, it's not just a few guards out there. It's swarming with demons and adults," he replied, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Isn't that bad?" Emma asked.
"No! That's why the security is light. It's the same beyond that. Pretending to be a family and letting us grow freely. That's why I can say for sure they won't increase security. Anyway, about tomorrow... there's no need to be freaked out. Just nullify the tracking device and hide in the forest. Use this," Ray said, tossing something to Norman.

"Press it against your left ear and push the button. That'll nullify the tracking device. If we use this method, it won't notify Mom," Ray told him.

"Did you make that from camera parts?" Emma asked curiously.
"Not just the camera. I used parts from all the other rewards I got before hand," Ray told her.

"Don and Gilda are currently making a rope," Ray said, putting a finger up.
"Using what?" I asked.
"Spare sheets. We don't care if Mom finds out anymore. So I had them steal some from the Linen Room. I'm also preparing other things necessary for you to hide. I'll give you the details later," Ray told us but more specifically Norman.

"Thanks," Norman said with a smile.
"Anyway, you'll disappear tomorrow. And once Y/n's leg is healed, we'll escape," Ray said with a smile.
"Got it," Norman said, matching the smile.
"We're not letting you die, Norman," I said with more confidence.
"We'll get out of here alive. All of us," Emma said, joining our hands.

Time Skip

It was a morning like all the others. We ate... and took our test. We were at a happy orphanage.

Everything was the same as always. My siblings, Mom, and us.

And then...

Norman disappeared.

11/17/19
Word Count: 560