64} Could Have Been Me

Book 8} The Forbidden Game
Chapter 64
Could Have Been Me
私にされた

~

I Built 
A Friend

~

"You'll... help me?"
he asked.

"Yeah. This is wrong. The more I think about it, the more I realize there's no need for us to be against each other.
We're both escapees. So we should be able to understand each other and cooperate
It would be better for both of us. So let's do that.
Let's talk heart to heart,"
Emma said.

"Shut the hell up. You'll help me? Who the hell do you think you are, kid?
You're bothering me for this? You gotta be kidding me, damn antenna girl!"
he yelled.

I flinched.
"I hate you! I hate all of you! I have no intention of talking, heart to heart or not! Now get lost!!"
he continued.

Emma was silent for a second and I knew she could only yell back.
"No!! You might hate me. You might want to kill me. But I'm not going to leave you alone! Let's stop this. There's no use in you hiding it. You won't solve anything by running. Tell him, Y/n,"
Emma said, not turning to me.

"You were in pain, right? You and your group were a good family too, right? And you loved your friends very much. When you lost them, you were sad. Frustrated. Full of hate.
You suffered a lot. And for years and years, you were alone...
Repeating everyday in agony and despair... "
I muttered, looking him in the eye as I spoke.

He looked stunned at the transition Emma and I did, but it was normally like this.

"What could you know?"
he asked with grit teeth.

"I don't know. I can only imagine... the pain of losing my friends and family. But still, I get it. I tried to tell you that earlier.
We're the same, right? The old you, and me right now. My family and your friends,"
I said softly, standing up next to Emma.

"That's why it's tough for you to look at us. And out of that pain, you pointed the gun at me. But we're not the ones you wanted to erase from your mind. It was the old you.
You might be able to distract yourself momentarily by getting rid of us. But in the end, it won't change a thing.
You'll still be suffering. And that's not good, so let's change it!"
I told him.

"Change what? How? Nothing can be done.
No matter how much I regret it, I can't change the past. And my dead friends won't return. Distraction is good enough. As long as you all disappear. You're right, you're just like me when I was younger,"
he said.

"You're the same as me. You can't save anyone from this hellish reality. You'll help me? What a joke. What can you do?"
He asked.

I took a deep breath, clutching my amulet.
"We can survive together. Let's live together.
We're returning to Grace Field within two years. You should come with us. To the human world.
I'm going to get the younger ones. And take everyone to the human world. Let's go to the world your friends wanted to see!"
I urged.

(Charmspeak at its finest )

I then looked down.
"We lost someone too. I told you about him.
He can't be replaced. He was our best friend... and always with us.
I'm sure he would've wanted to be here more than anyone.

But he can't... I let him go. He left me to handle the escape.
I'm going to go see the world Norman wanted to live in,"
I said softly.