Chapter 47

I woke up feeling so weak and tired. I opened my eyes and saw the room was being flooded with light. I sensed my magic was almost nonexistent. I looked around and saw Pyrus and Nathaniel staring at the large coral pink sea serpent who has extended her body to look into the room. It seemed to perk up when it noticed I was awake. Pyrus and Nathaniel turned to look at me. They had anger and relief in their eyes.

"Why the hell did you not tell us how much magic it was going to use," Nathaniel asked me. "You should've told us so we could be here for you," Pyrus told me. I looked away from them, "I didn't know it would use so much." I knew it required a lot, but it was clear I miscalculated. "I'm sorry," I told them. Pyrus released a sigh, "I wish I had been there to see it. Cindy said it was incredible." I looked up him then and saw the anger was gone. Nathaniel had a small smile on his face as he came over to the bed, "You are truly amazing." He helped me sit up while Pyrus came and sat down on my other side. "We are so proud of you," Pyrus said before kissing my head. Nathaniel looked out of the window, "It wouldn't eat the entire time you were unconscious." "Because she was worried," I whispered. "She gave the other warlocks a heart attack when they saw her. Of course its strange to see a sea serpent on land," Nathaniel said with a small smile.

Drake then came in with Cindy. Cindy rushed over to the bed. She pulled me into a tight hug, "Don't you ever scare me like that again!" I sighed and breathed in her scent, "I won't, I promise." She then held me out at arms length, "I came back when my mother informed me about the massive drain on your magic, and I got here in time to watch you summon it. It was so awesome. It's really adorable too. It kind of reminds me of a puppy." "A large man eating puppy," Drake said as he looked at it. "Shouldnt it be in water?" "She will be fine on land since she isn't a normal serpent," Qin said as he came in. "I just don't see how it could be much assistance if it's out side all the time," Shelton said while shutting the bedroom door. "A familiar doesnt have to be in contact with its summoner," Qin explained. "The main purpose is to serve a witch as well as offer protection. They are able to take on the negative effects from spells the witch casts. For example, if a witch is to die during a spell, the familiar takes her place. She can then later on resummon her familiar. They can also ensure a witch can't burnout from over using her magic, by turning itself back into the magic she used to either bide it to her if it was a store bought animal or turn into the magic she used to summon it. She can later on do it all over again. Over time witches have started using them as a status symbol. After all, the large the familiar, the more magic the witch possesses."

"Do Warlocks have familiars," Cindy asked him curiously. Qin nodded, "It is mostly practiced with the warlock warriors since they tend to exhaust their magic on the battlefield and it is rare a royal ever has to take part in a war." "Did you have one during the war with the witches," Pyrus asked him. Qin nodded, "I did. His name is Pantheom. When I was turned into a Demon my connection with him was severed."

"Now that you're not a Demon anymore, are you able to summon him again," Shelton asked him. Qin shrugged, "I haven't tried. If I did right now, I would be in the same boat as Alice since it has been so long." "Did you know the toll it would take on her," Nathaniel asked him. Qin shook his head, "I didn't. The art of familiars, as well as many things had left my memory when I was a Demon. Me forgetting something so crucial was why I had locked myself in the library, trying to relearn it all so I don't make that mistake again."

"It's not your fault," Drake told him. "Yeah it's Alice's," Cindy joked, causing me to roll my eyes as the others laughed softly. Cindy kissed my cheek, "I'm so proud of you." I smiled softly, glad they weren't too mad at me. She then moved when her phone rang, "That's probably your grandmother asking about you." She got up to answer it and Pyrus pulled me into his lap, "Its time for you to feed."

Qin's POV

I stood in front of the window looking down at the ground where the serpent laid coiled up, sleeping easily now that her mistress was awake and okay. I looked over my shoulder at the women who laid in bed sleeping peacefully together. Alice had fed heavily from us due to her drained magic. I felt like an idiot for forgetting something so major. I went back to looking out the window, wondering about how much I had forgotten. Drake wrapped his arms around my waist. "What's wrong," he asked me. "I keep wondering about other important things I've forgotten," I confessed to him. "It'll come to you in time," He assured me and I sighed. "So tell me, Pyrus and Cindy both use magic, how come they dont have the ability to summon familiars?"

I knew he was asking me this to get my mind off of it by testing what I did know. "Pyrus's magic is from the flame spirit, gifted to his people eons ago. The strength of their magic is based on the strength of their spirit. While genies use wish magic. Their magic is fueled by the wants and desires of others. Their ability to grant wishes is why they were once enslaved. Now that they're free, they're able to use their magic freely. However having magic that is fueled by wants and desires has its draw backs. If they lived a life of isolation, then they would practically be human because there would be no one around to fuel their magic. It's why you find most genies in crowded cities. Cindy doesnt need a large city since she has so many mates to fuel her magic." He nodded, "I see. So what was your familiar like?" "Patheom was a four headed hydra. One head to represent each element I had the ability to use. He is about as large as you are in your dragon form," I told him.

"We will surely need more room," Pyrus said as he came and leaned against the window. Drake chuckled as he nodded, "We will indeed." Can I even summon Pantheom? He was a temperamental thing so who knows how he will act once I do summon him. I just pray he doesn't burn down the castle. Or worse, fight Alice's familiar.