Chapter 79

Qin's POV

The battle was finally over, and we won. At what cost? The numbers on both sides were in the hundreds. That fact alone was enough me hurl. I stood at the top of the hill, looking out at the battle field. Rain poured on to the blood stained grass, but it did little to wash it away. "You're going to make yourself sick again if you keep standing out here," Shelton said as he came over to me, wrapping his arms around me. "We lost so many of our people," I whispered. Whether they were in our army or they were part of the rebels, they were still our citizens. It was still families in our kingdom for both sides that we have to visit to give our condolences too. I don't care if it takes me years, I refuse to simply give them a letter that says we're sorry for their lost. 

Shelton was about to say something when Pyrus came running to us, "I just learned from one of the guards that we had been attacked by Aniavin." "Where are the twins and the girls," Shelton asked him, unwrapping his arms from my waist. "Alice is in the infirmary with Cindy by her bed and the twins are with Alice's grandmother at a safe house," Pyrus told us. "Two from Aniavin had managed to break into the bunker. They got them subdued using Cindy's wish magic, but Alice couldn't handle the stress of it all. Nathaniel and Drake are on their way to the infirmary now." 

We rushed to the infirmary where Alice was sitting up in the bed, with Cindy hugging Nathaniel and Drake tightly. "Are you okay," Pyrus asked Alice. She looked at her hands, tears coming to her eyes. "Due to the stress, there is a possibility she may miscarry," Cindy whispered softly. Alice's hands covered her face, and her shoulders shook. "The doctors are keeping a close eye on her and the babies, but they're saying it's too soon to tell for certain." 

The news struck harder than any blow I received during the battle. "What are the chances of that happening," Drake asked, his voice sounding strained. "They have a good chance," Cindy told us. "And that chance is what's keeping me from breaking down, so I'm gonna cling to it desperately." Cindy turned to Alice, "Please stop crying Alice. I hate seeing you cry." Pyrus picked her up before sitting where she had been and cradled her to his chest. "It's not your fault my Phoenix. This wasn't something any of us could control." He kissed her head, and he continued to hold her, even after she stopped crying. 

"So where are these Aniavin," Nathaniel asked Cindy. "They're in the bunker. Alice had wished they sleep until one of you went down to bring them to a cell. Laurel had killed the others." "We will leave them be for now," Shelton declared. "Right now we need to rest, and focus on making sure we all make it through this." 

The medics allowed us to take Alice to our room, instructing us to get her to relax. We men took a much needed shower, washing off the grime and dirt from the battlefield before joining Alice and Cindy in bed. "Alice, it happens to everyone," Cindy was telling her as we went in. "It's going to be okay. If we do loose them, we can always try again." She tucked a strand of hair behind Alice's ear, "We have all of eternity to have children." Cindy kissed Alice's forehead, "Use that special hearing of yours and listen to them honey. And if you need to continue listening to them and not listen to us until they're here, to help you relax, then so be it." Alice closed her eyes as she took a deep breath, "There's still six." It was a whisper but we all heard it. We would have to take this day by day, doing whatever it takes to ensure she stays happy and relaxed. 

The next day I was up early, moving the two from Aniavin to a cell. "Our sister will come for us," the woman spat from inside her cell, iron chains keeping her against the wall. "And do what exactly," I asked them. "Because I can promise you this, she is not prepared for what will happen when we punish her for targeting my mates." They clenched their jaws, refusing to say anything more. So be it. I will deal with them later. I set a few guards up outside their cell before leaving the dungeon. I then went to go check on those that were injured in the fight. I saw my mother sitting by one of the soldier's bedside. She was looking at the solider with love and worry. 

She turned her gaze to me. "Will he make it," I asked her. She nodded, "Yes, he just needs to rest." She then left his bed side to walk with me in the halls. "His name is Jamison Mathews. He is a rogue wolf who was kicked from his pack after his mate rejected him," She shared with me. "He has a cabin not far from here." I nodded, "And father?" She huffed, "He was begging me to take him back. After practically stalking me for weeks, Jamison stepped in and put a stop to him. Of course he is still alive, but Goddess only knows where he went." I nodded again, "I wish you both the best." 

She eyed me, "Usually after a battle, you join your soldiers in celebrating, and not let the weight of it all happen until later." I sighed, "That was before I was king and mated." I ran a hand through my hair, "Aniavin had attacked the palace while we were distracted by the war." She nodded, "I heard." "Two of their people got into the bunker. Alice and Cindy took care of them easily enough, however, Alice was unable to handle the stress," I shared with her. "There is a possibility she may miss carry." Saying it out loud is what brought the tears forth. She pulled me into her arms, "I am so sorry honey." I clutched my mother tightly as I cried, "What do I do?" 

"You be there for her," She told me. "If you loose your babies, it will kill her. I know it will hurt all of you, but it's going to be worse for Alice because she is the one carrying them. She will also blame herself, and no matter what you say, she won't believe you. The pain may cause you all to fight as well, but you guys are so strong, I know that no matter what happens, you'll all get through this." "How do you know," I asked in a broken whisper as I pulled away from her. "When you were a year old I became pregnant with a little girl. I lost her after seven months," She shared with me. "Your father hated me for it. And we both blamed me for losing her. The reality of it though, was that it was neither of our fault. She just wasn't strong and healthy enough. It wasn't anyone's fault, except nature's. Just keep clutching on to hope my son, and everything will be okay." She kissed my cheek and I nodded. "Thank you mother," I told her. 

She smiled softly, "Now go be with your mates. You're all alive, so you need to celebrate that. Leave the kingly duties for another day. If someone has a problem with it, then tell them you're doing what your mother told you too." I kissed her cheek before going to our room. Nathaniel and Drake were on the floor playing with the twins, Pyrus was cuddling with Alice on the couch watching them, and from the giggles coming from the bathroom, Cindy and Shelton were in the shower. 

"You could've waited," Drake told me. "It only took me a few minutes, I was spending most of my time with my mother," I told them while taking off my shoes. "And how is she doing," Alice asked me. "She is sitting beside her lover's bed as he rests," I answered. "She says he'll make it, just needs to rest. He is a rogue wolf named Jamison Mathews who lives in a cabin not far from here. He was kicked out of his pack when his mate rejected him. As long as he cares for my mother and keeps her safe then I truly don't care what or who he is." I took my hair down and ran my fingers through it before laying on the floor to play with the twins. "After that, she ordered me to spend time with my family and leave the kingly duties for another day. We're alive and we should celebrate that." "I second that," Shelton said as he came out of the bathroom his towel around his waist. 

"I think a movie night in our PJs with lots of snacks is the best way to celebrate," Cindy said happily, her robe around her body and her hair in a towel. "Just no horror," She said while giving Nathaniel and Alice a playful glare. "I think something light hearted and funny is best," Pyrus suggested. "We could watch Twenty Seven Dresses," Cindy suggested eagerly. We all gave her a playful collective groan and she stuck her tongue out at us. We all changed into our pajamas and put the twins into footie pajamas before going into our media room to make good with our celebration plans. 

It was in the middle of the night when we were woken up by a guard coming to the door. Shelton, Nathaniel, and I went down to the dungeon, leaving Pyrus and Drake with the girls and the twins. When we got to the dungeon I had to bite back the bile that threatened to come out. "We had come in for our shift change when we found them," The guard who woke us said as we took in the sight. The guards had been killed, our prisoners freed. Written on the walls in the guards' blood was, WE WILL BE BACK FOR WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY OURS