Chapter 2 - Crushes

Meanwhile, in Brooklyn

Taurus

"-AND GET OUT OF MY HOUSE, YOU DISGRACES!" My friends' father shut the door loudly just as they got all their stuff out.

"Sheesh, Cap, what's up with your dad?" I asked.

My friend Capricorn sighed. "He's always like this. I think the loss of our mum changed him."

"He hates you both a lot." I noted.

"Well spotted, Taurus." Capricorn's brother Aquarius ruffled his own platinum blonde hair. "It really isn't our fault that Mum died."

"How did your mother die?" Judging from the looks on Capricorn and Aquarius' faces, I probably shouldn't have asked. 

Capricorn bit his lip. "We were around 10. Mum was crossing the street with us. There was a car that didn't see the red light. It drove forward just as we were crossing the street. We didn't see the car, but Mum did. She jumped in front of the car to shield us, and she-" He lowered his head. "The nurses and doctors at the hospital couldn't save her."

"I'm sorry." I stared at the ground, then at our luggages that were sitting on the sidewalk. "We should get going if we're going to get to Virgo's on time. You know how much she hates us being late."

"Yeah, we should get going." My sister Libra agreed. "I can't wait to see Gemini again after the summer holidays! Oh, and I missed you too, Aqua!"

Libra ran over to where Aquarius was standing and gave him a bone-crushing hug.

"Ow!" He complained.

"Oh come on." She gave him a friendly smile as she let go of him. "Didn't you miss me?"

"Of course I did." Aquarius replied sharply. "Let's go before Virgo murders us for being non-punctual."

~~~

"You're late." Virgo eyed us with her stern green eyes.

"S-sorry." I panted. "W-we t-took a w-wrong t-turn."

Virgo's smile instantly replaced the tone she had spoken in. Then, she laughed. "I have idiots for friends."

"Hey!" I protested.

"Just kidding." She smiled again, and directed her attention to Capricorn. "Did you get lost too?"

"We- we came here together." Capricorn replied nervously. "I guess it was the peer pressure. Follow the crowd, I guess?"

"Yeah, I guess." Virgo stroked her fingers through her long, brown hair, half of which was tied in two braided bun.

As she spoke, a short, blonde haired girl made her way to the front with her bags. When she saw my sister, she froze.

"LIBRA!" She squealed, running to hug Libra.

"Gemini! How are you?" Libra exclaimed, Gemini hugging her so tight that I thought that Libra's bones might explode. Fortunately for her, Libra is immune to tight hugs. I guess that's because she gives out so many tight hugs herself.

"I haven't seen you in so long!" Gemini squealed again. I covered my ears.

Virgo must've sensed my discomfort. "She does that a lot." She rolled her eyes at her sister.

Gemini didn't notice the eye roll. She let go of Libra and walked up to Aquarius. Even though Aquarius was the sixth tallest of our 'squad', as my frenemy Leo liked to call it, Gemini was way shorter. She was the shortest of the so-called 'squad', but even I knew to fear her when someone called her short.