Chapter 20 - The Code of Lady Liberty

Scorpio

"Why are they taking so long?" Cancer asked himself, walking around the small space where we were.

A few days ago, Pisces, Cancer and I have gone into a secret tunnel at school and somehow found ourselves under the famous Lady Liberty.

Now all that was in our way was a stupid code, and if we didn't crack the code, we'd be stuck in this tight little room-like space for the rest of our lives.

"Oh, don't worry, Cancer!" Pisces the overloaded optimism machine bounced into the "room". "They'll be here soon, and we'll be free!"

I got up from the corner that I was sitting in. "I'm going to explore those other tunnels."

"Okay, but come back here when you're done exploring." Cancer called after me.

I got out of the room-like space and took a right, going into another tunnel that we haven't explored yet.

Standing in front of me was a door, with yet another code.

But this code was different. It somehow seemed easier.

There was a keypad on the wall, but instead of numbers, there were a bunch of symbols. I traced my fingers over the ♏︎symbol.

I looked around. To my right, on the wall, was a message. It read: "first symbols order. 21st goes March Hint: the Put in".

"That's weird." I said to myself. "This message makes no sense."

Then, I realised that the message was scrambled up. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I picked up a red marker that was just lying around and scribbled what I thought was the correct message.

The new message on the wall now read "Put symbols in the order. Hint: first March 21st goes".

The message sort of made sense, but I still didn't get what it meant.

I stared blankly at the message, re-reading it over and over again. Finally, I picked the red marker up and re-wrote the message underneath the other two scrambled up ones.

The message now read "Put the symbols in order. Hint: March 21st goes first".

Then, it hit me. The symbols on the keypad were the symbols of the zodiac signs. The one I traced earlier was the zodiac sign scorpio, the same one that I was named after.

"March 21st." I mumbled to myself. "Which zodiac sign's season starts on March 21st?"

I then remembered that my brother Aries' birthday was on March 21st.

"If we are the Zodiac Signs, then maybe-" A new theory was formed in my head.

I pressed on the symbol that represented the zodiac sign aries. My gut told me to press the taurus symbol. The gemini symbol soon followed, as did the cancer, leo, virgo, libra, scorpio, sagittarius, capricorn, aquarius and pisces symbols.

The door I was standing in front of swung open all by itself. I stood in front of it for a minutes, debating with myself whether or not I should go inside.

I stepped inside the small area. The room was empty, besides a container containing a floating, glowing crystal. Its blue glow was blinding. I shielded myself from its glow as I moved towards it.

"What in the world?" I asked out loud.

I moved my hand closer to the crystal to touch it. As soon as I touched it, it burnt the tips of my fingers. I quickly retracted my hand to examine the burn.

But it wasn't a burn. Instead of a burn mark that should have been on the tips of my fingers, a powdery galaxy-coloured substance was there instead. I looked back at the crystal, then looked around the small space. No alarms sounded, and no heavily armoured guards came out of nowhere. There were no dragons, no magical traps, and no evil sorceress science teachers. Nothing.