Chapter 15 - Rainbow Scarf

Gemini

I never would've thought that a scarf would be such a big deal until today. It all started after free period, as most abnormal things do.

My best friend Libra called me over from the room we shared.

"Something's wrong." She told me.

"What's up?" I asked.

Libra looked around to see if anyone was there, before whispering, "It's my brother."

"What about him?" I whispered back. I didn't know why we were whispering, but I went along with it.

"This morning, he asked me for his rainbow scarf." Libra explained. "He seemed worried too. Actually, he's got me worried as well, oh what do I do-"

"Hold up," I made a signal telling her to stop. "You're worried about your brother... because he asked you for a scarf?"

"No!" Now Libra's worried expression had me slightly worried as well. "Well, the rainbow scarf is special. Our dad gave it to him before he left us, and there must be something wrong right now, because Taurus doesn't wear the rainbow scarf unless-" She paused, her lower lip trembling.

I looked at her, expecting her to continue. "Unless?"

Libra looked up at me. "Unless there's a serious problem."

"So it's like a problem scarf?" I asked. "But it's rainbow coloured! Shouldn't it be for happy bright days or whatnot?"

Libra sighed. "Let me explain. Dad and Mom were happy together when they adopted us. However, a few years later, they started arguing a lot, and I don't know why. In the end, Dad divorced Mom and left us. At the time, Dad was the only one who knew that Taurus was gay, so he gave him a rainbow scarf as a parting present. This was all very hard on Taurus, and he was angry at Dad for leaving. He gave me the scarf for safe keeping, and only took it out when he was stressed out or something was bothering him. He hasn't taken it out since last summer, the week before the summer holidays. I'm really worried."

"Oh." I really didn't know what to say, but Libra didn't seem to mind. She kept going on.

"Did I mention that he hangs around with Cancer a lot more since the school year started?" She asked.

I thought for a while. Taurus did hang out with Cancer a lot. "Yeah. Boys have best friends too."

"That's not it." Libra said before whispering into my ear. "I walked into Taurus' room yesterday night and found them cuddling. I'm starting to feel like maybe they aren't 'just friends'. This isn't like Taurus to be so secretive."

Huh, some gossip. I thought to myself, even if it probably wasn't the most urgent thing at the moment.

Regardless, I was willing to be a good friend and help Libra out.

"Do you know where he went?" I asked. "Maybe we can find him."

Libra nodded. "The school rooftop."

I recalled seeing a door to a staircase that lead to the top of the school. It was right next to our free period classroom, so it was easily accessible.

"Got it." I said. "Let's go."

~~~

I wasn't all that sure if students were allowed to go to the school rooftop. Nevertheless, a good dose of fresh news would do me some good.

In my previous school years, I used to be very popular. Come to think of it, I mainly fed on pieces of gossip and would spread them around my friend group. It wasn't really that bad though. I refrained from telling anyone my friends' secrets, and I kept the bad gossip to myself.